Flickering lights? Help

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gcapp99
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2014, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Flickering lights? Help

Alrighty so here's the problem, about a month ago my battery light came on while i had been driving a while. I pulled over and stopped the motor but when i started it back, the light was off. Since then the problem has become more frequent and now it does it as soon as i get up to speed. Not at idle though. And when its running everything electrical flickers on and off (cluster lights, odometer, headlights ect..)

Battery voltage is averaging about 12.8v and lights do not flicker unless motor is running. Also my warning lights for e-brake, ABS, and traction control ding off and on. (can post video later)

Never has a problem starting either. I'm completely stumped here guys… Anyone had this problem. Its an 01 Pt with 166,000

Thanks!
Old 03 Apr 2014, 11:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Flickering lights? Help

might just need a new alternator belt. or worse, the alternator starting to go bad. wish I could be of more help.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I just replaced the belts a few months ago.. Hopefully it's not the alternator. I can barely see it so i know it'll be a task to change
Old 04 Apr 2014, 02:45 am
Senior Cruiser

How old is the battery. Normally those are signs of a battery needing replaced.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 06:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Think you got problems ? Every once in a while a trail of smoke comes out of my steering wheel !
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 04 Jun 2014, 08:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Flickering lights? Start by checking battery terminals!

My wife's 2003 GT Turbo has been haunted by all kinds of electrical problems since we got it back in October 2013 with 93,000 miles on the odometer.

Symptoms: Flickering dash, interior lights & headlights; At times it would do what I thought was a full reset where the engine would shudder, all dash lights come on & gauges would peg and then normalize. Sometimes the car would shut off- very scary while she's driving it at the time. Not to mention the very annoying power locks randomly cycling all the time...

Other posts here suggested auxiliary ground wiring, so that got done. No change- still haunted. I had a hundred dollar bill burning a hole in my pocket so I bought a new battery. No change.

The car had a history of the Check Engine light coming on, throwing a P0480 code (Low speed fan relay). I bought the very expensive used Bosch fan motor for $235.00 back in February, but because the PT never overheated, I put off installing it. Instead I replaced the PCM last month- another $300.00 adventure.

Then the PT began to randomly shut down completely as if the ignition switch was turned off. So I replaced the switch. The bad behavior continued, along with the random P0480 fan code. Maybe the fan error was "backfeeding" bad data to the PCM? So last night I tackled the fan motor replacement.

After it was installed, I let it idle waiting for it to get warm enough to cycle the fan. While I'm standing there pointing a flashlight at the fan, I happened to rest my hand on the positive battery terminal. It was so hot that it burned my palm!

Turned out that where the 2 heavy gauge wires enter the terminal, corrosion got in and created a high resistance causing the problem! Got a new terminal for $4.00, stripped back the insulation to expose non-crystallized wire, secured them tightly and started it up.

Fixed! For the 1st time since we've owned it she runs like a new car. Drove it for over an hour with no issues, and it runs better than I've ever experienced since day 1.

So I recommend that you touch the battery terminals and if either if them are warmer than the battery itself, you need to find out why & fix it.
JoeX likes this.
Old 04 Jun 2014, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Flickering lights? Start by checking battery terminals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcapp99 View Post
My wife's 2003 GT Turbo has been haunted by all kinds of electrical problems since we got it back in October 2013 with 93,000 miles on the odometer.

Symptoms: Flickering dash, interior lights & headlights; At times it would do what I thought was a full reset where the engine would shudder, all dash lights come on & gauges would peg and then normalize. Sometimes the car would shut off- very scary while she's driving it at the time. Not to mention the very annoying power locks randomly cycling all the time...

Other posts here suggested auxiliary ground wiring, so that got done. No change- still haunted. I had a hundred dollar bill burning a hole in my pocket so I bought a new battery. No change.

The car had a history of the Check Engine light coming on, throwing a P0480 code (Low speed fan relay). I bought the very expensive used Bosch fan motor for $235.00 back in February, but because the PT never overheated, I put off installing it. Instead I replaced the PCM last month- another $300.00 adventure.

Then the PT began to randomly shut down completely as if the ignition switch was turned off. So I replaced the switch. The bad behavior continued, along with the random P0480 fan code. Maybe the fan error was "backfeeding" bad data to the PCM? So last night I tackled the fan motor replacement.

After it was installed, I let it idle waiting for it to get warm enough to cycle the fan. While I'm standing there pointing a flashlight at the fan, I happened to rest my hand on the positive battery terminal. It was so hot that it burned my palm!

Turned out that where the 2 heavy gauge wires enter the terminal, corrosion got in and created a high resistance causing the problem! Got a new terminal for $4.00, stripped back the insulation to expose non-crystallized wire, secured them tightly and started it up.

Fixed! For the 1st time since we've owned it she runs like a new car. Drove it for over an hour with no issues, and it runs better than I've ever experienced since day 1.

So I recommend that you touch the battery terminals and if either if them are warmer than the battery itself, you need to find out why & fix it.
Yes when checking connections. You should check the positive ones as well. This would check good with a meter because it dosent need much of a connection to meter out but still fail under a load. Great follow up. Maybe some of us can save ourselves some anguish with this info.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Jun 2014, 11:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Flickering lights? Start by checking battery terminals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcapp99 View Post
corrosion got in and created a high resistance causing the problem!
Sometimes alot of vehicle owners don't realize all the (starange/weird) problems that,or also to low resistance can cause....Especially with most modern computer controlled vehicles.
Gone are the good old days,where all needed was maybe just a battery,alternator,voltage regulator,and a fuse block!
Old 04 Jun 2014, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4bucs View Post
Alrighty so here's the problem, about a month ago my battery light came on while i had been driving a while. I pulled over and stopped the motor but when i started it back, the light was off. Since then the problem has become more frequent and now it does it as soon as i get up to speed. Not at idle though. And when its running everything electrical flickers on and off (cluster lights, odometer, headlights ect..)

Battery voltage is averaging about 12.8v and lights do not flicker unless motor is running. Also my warning lights for e-brake, ABS, and traction control ding off and on. (can post video later)

Never has a problem starting either. I'm completely stumped here guys… Anyone had this problem. Its an 01 Pt with 166,000

Thanks!
Well im not sure if its me or what BUT 12.8 is not enought output it should be over 13 mine is like 13.4

and I can tell you a bad battery or a bad alentorator will cause all kinds of deamons and ghost in a PT
Old 12 Jun 2014, 02:32 pm
Young Cruiser

My volts don't dip below 13. I'd check your battery and hope it's not the alternator.

Tags
alternator, battery, flickering