PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'03 PT Cruiser Probs

 
Like Tree5Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04 Apr 2014, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 33
Default '03 PT Cruiser Probs

Once again my PT stopped working, I truly do not understand why I am having all of these problems with my cruiser.

Today when I put key in the ignition and went to turn my car on all of lights came on and the radio came on too, but the engine wouldn't start, it wasn't even attempting to turn on . It can't be the battery because it was just replaced.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this happen?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04 Apr 2014, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 33
Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser Probs

The error codes I am getting is p0325 & p0171
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2014, 08:07 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser Probs

One is too lean, other is knock sensor.
Battery may have been replaced, but if you have something draining it...
You have fog lights? Multifunction switch has been known to go bad and turn lights on randomly, which would drain the battery...
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2014, 08:13 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,485
Lightbulb Re: '03 PT Cruiser Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh976 View Post
Today when I put key in the ignition and went to turn my car on all of lights came on and the radio came on too, but the engine wouldn't start, it wasn't even attempting to turn on . It can't be the battery because it was just replaced.
Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this happen?
I had the same symptoms/issue.....(no codes though!)
Mine turned out to be a 'sticky' starter solenoid plunger....I was able to free it up by tapping on the top of the casing,while a helper turned the key to start it.
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06 Apr 2014, 10:29 am
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 125
Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser Probs

QUESTION:

If it is the starter solenoid, isn't there some sort of a tell-tale click that signifies it is the solenoid???

Or am I confused about that again.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07 Apr 2014, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 33
Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
One is too lean, other is knock sensor.
Battery may have been replaced, but if you have something draining it...
You have fog lights? Multifunction switch has been known to go bad and turn lights on randomly, which would drain the battery...
I don't have fog lights and I just replaced the battery this winter. Whats super weird it that when the guy from AAA came they stuck a rod down into my engine and it started right up, said that the started was the issue. This morning when my mechanic looked at it, he said that my car started right up with no problems and no trouble codes. He can't figure out why my car stopped working. Said that its up to me if I want to replace the starter or not, he said that he thinks that it is going bad but is not 100%. I am most likely just going to have him replace it because a starter is inexpressive and my cars old. It's just a mind boggling situation to me!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07 Apr 2014, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 33
Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
I had the same symptoms/issue.....(no codes though!)
Mine turned out to be a 'sticky' starter solenoid plunger....I was able to free it up by tapping on the top of the casing,while a helper turned the key to start it.
Whats super weird is that when the guy from AAA came they stuck a rod down into my engine and it started right up, said that the started was the issue. This morning when my mechanic looked at it, he said that my car started right up with no problems and no trouble codes. He can't figure out why my car stopped working. Said that its up to me if I want to replace the starter or not, he said that he thinks that it is going bad but is not 100%. I am most likely just going to have him replace it because a starter is inexpressive and my cars old. It's just a mind boggling situation to me! Maybe a sticky started was the issue and when pushed it with his rod, he freed it up?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2014, 08:01 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just south of the Mason/Dixon line
Posts: 1,713
Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser Probs

check the ground wires from the battery to the starter. They're known to crack with age. there's a few posts on here about it
__________________
.....................................
'03 GT base w/175k and a 2 speed autostick (read: trans is shot) and powered by a hybrid MOPAR S3 with DSP untuned
1st Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT w/Psi-Fi Power pack fuel tuner back in '07
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2014, 09:35 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,891
Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh976 View Post
Whats super weird is that when the guy from AAA came they stuck a rod down into my engine and it started right up, said that the started was the issue. This morning when my mechanic looked at it, he said that my car started right up with no problems and no trouble codes. He can't figure out why my car stopped working. Said that its up to me if I want to replace the starter or not, he said that he thinks that it is going bad but is not 100%. I am most likely just going to have him replace it because a starter is inexpressive and my cars old. It's just a mind boggling situation to me! Maybe a sticky started was the issue and when pushed it with his rod, he freed it up?
When he put the rod in. Were you turning the key while he did this? Or was the key just on?
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2014, 10:01 am
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser Probs

"Whats super weird is that when the guy from AAA came they stuck a rod down into my engine and it started right up"

Did you turn the key at the same time, or it started just with the rod - either he used the rod to tap and free the solenoid, or, more likely, it sounds like he used the rod to make electrical contact and start the starter.
Could be your ignition cylinder...
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBC location and ECU probs PETEY_CRUISER Turbo Performance 10 24 Oct 2015 08:45 pm
what are the most common probs? ranger Tech & Performance Forum 8 15 Aug 2011 01:33 pm
Electrical Probs R_I_PT Tech & Performance Forum 2 04 Jan 2009 08:36 pm
Air conditioner probs. ccinder General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 18 Jun 2008 09:35 pm
MBC Probs PETEY_CRUISER Turbo Performance 5 20 Jun 2003 02:12 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors