Thre Problems: Sticky Accelerator / error 0507 / High Idle

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By njsteve1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Three Problems: Sticky Accelerator / error 0507 / High Idle

Hi everyone:

Three problems just started the last few days; do you think they are related?

1) First, sticky accelerator. When I first step on the gas, the pedal "sticks" for the very first bit of travel. So if I am a stop light, when it turns green, I kind of have to "stab" it a little bit, just to get it to move. Nothing major; my wife wouldn't notice if she was driving because she has a heavy foot anyway. But I certainly notice.

It doesn't stick at any other position. Just that very first bit of trave.

2) Idle seems high on occasion. Usually it is around 1,000 RPM or so. Lately, around 1,700 RPM. but sometimes it drops down to normal.

3) Error code P 0507. Check engine light came on, and when I did the on / off ignition thing three times, I got just the P 0507 error code (which, I guess, means high idle).

What should I look at first? any chance the sticky accelerator pedal is related to the high idle and P 0507 codes?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by myjeephatesme; 06 Apr 2014 at 11:23 am.
Old 05 Apr 2014, 02:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Thre Problems: Sticky Accelerator / error 0507 / High Idle

Darn! the title should say THREE problems, not thre problems. Can't edit the title.
Old 05 Apr 2014, 03:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Thre Problems: Sticky Accelerator / error 0507 / High Idle

I say first take a look at the throttle cable(and T/C return) are by the throttle body(could be sticky and/or dirty),and the next thing would be to take a look inside the T/B,to make sure the butterfly valve is working correctly/moving freely.
Old 05 Apr 2014, 04:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you so much for the suggestions, Randy.

If the throttle cable or throttle cable return ARE sticky, what should I use to un-stick them / clean them?

Also, is it easy to find the throttle cable and the return? Or will I have to remove some stuff first to even spot them?

I have a 2005 normally aspirated PT crusier. No cruise control nor any turbo.

Final question (or two):

If I have to take a look inside the throttle body to check on the butterfly valve,then:

1) Will I need to replace the o ring when I reassemble it, and

2) what is the best way to unstick a stuck butterfly valve?

thanks again.
Old 05 Apr 2014, 04:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Thre Problems: Sticky Accelerator / error 0507 / High Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
If the throttle cable or throttle cable return ARE sticky, what should I use to un-stick them / clean them?
Also, is it easy to find the throttle cable and the return? Or will I have to remove some stuff first to even spot them?
If I have to take a look inside the throttle body to check on the butterfly valve,then:
Will I need to replace the o ring when I reassemble it, and
what is the best way to unstick a stuck butterfly valve?
#1.) WD-40(or similar)
#2.) Yes & No....(See Photos)
#3.) No disassembly(so no 'O-ring' replacement)...Remove the breather hose that runs from air box,you'll be able to see into the T/B for cleaning.
#4.) Use 'Throttle Body/Carb Cleaner'(STP or similar?).....Take the intake off the throttle body a little ways and rev the engine while you spray throttle body cleaner into the opening.
First I'd recommend getting a flashlight and open the butterfly valve,check for any carbon buildup(black/sooty?)or 'varnish'(brownish/sappy-looking?) on the butterfly or around the edges of the TB...If so,shoot some TB cleaner at it and wipe with a clean cloth.
Start engine and run a bit(may be rough for a second but should clear up)

Throttle Cable Photo #1

Throttle Cable Photo #2

Throttle Body/Butterfly Valve Photo
Old 05 Apr 2014, 05:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Great!!! Thanks so much for the help.

BTW: How many miles do you have on "Killer"?
Old 05 Apr 2014, 05:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

This procedure work for me:

Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner/Conditioner is really good for removing carbon deposits, but the directions on the can are not so useful. The following directions outline the way that professional mechanics have been using the cleaner for years -- they were finally published in TSB 18-31-97 for 1996-98 Jeep 4.0 Liter misfire conditions:

decarbonizing Procedure

1. Operate the vehicle until the vehicle reaches operating temperature.
2. Remove the air tube from the throttle body.
3. With the engine at an idle, spray the entire contents of Mopar Combustion Cleaner, p/n 04318001, directly into the throttle body. Allow the vehicle to load up with the cleaner to the point of almost stalling out.
4. Shut the engine OFF after the entire can is ingested.
5. With the hood closed and the vehicle parked inside the garage, allow the vehicle to soak for two to three hours. This will ensure that the engine will maintain its temperature and will allow proper solvent penetration.
6. Drive the vehicle on a highway/freeway that will allow the vehicle to be driven safely at the posted speed limit. Upon entering the highway/freeway, accelerate hard to the posted speed limit and maintain speed. Slow down and then perform 5 to 10 Wide Open Throttle (WOT) upshifts. Continue driving at the maximum speed limit for 1-2 miles (if conditions allow).
_PTGT03 likes this.
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 05 Apr 2014, 06:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ok,

Is there any chance that I might blow something up by spraying throttle body cleaner into the throttle body while the car is running???

Fire is not my friend
Old 06 Apr 2014, 10:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Can I just ask for clarification on a few things regarding the cleaning process:

1) I should NOT try to open the butterfly valve manually with fingers / pointy stick because it might mess up the computer, right?

2) The engine should be RUNNING if / when I spray throttle body cleaner into the throttle body?

3) In this motorweek video, they suggested NOT to have the car running but to have someone step on the accelerator with the key in the run position in order to get the butterfly valve open.

I know this is a minor operation and most people can do it in their sleep, but I seem to have been cursed with stupid mistakes lately, so i am trying to avoid all possible operator errors.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by myjeephatesme; 06 Apr 2014 at 11:21 am.

Tags
0507, high idle, sticky accelerator