Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CANT GAP IRIDIUM PLUGS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2014, 03:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default CANT GAP IRIDIUM PLUGS?

the guy at auto-zone said if i gap iridium plugs they'll mis-fire i have 1 stage colder cause im gonna tune her to hell, and i thought she needed 40 gap, they come 50 gap????? please help asap im doing this job now, i can do rad flush/t stat swap to kill time, but i have to tune up today, thanks guys

Semper Fidelis!!!
Old 05 Apr 2014, 04:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: CANT GAP IRIDIUM PLUGS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
the guy at auto-zone said if i gap iridium plugs they'll mis-fire
Rule #1: "Don't believe everything the guys(or girls)@ A/Z tell you"....
That's a new one on me?(maybe I'm wrong)......I do know you really shouldn't use cheapy 'coin-style' gappers,or even feeler-gauges.....But,I thought any plug is gappable?(They gap them @ the S/P factory)
The best thing to use are 'gapping-pliers',especially on Platinum or Iridium,because to use anything less can bend or break the electrode.
Here is what I recommend for use on any spark plugs(very accurate & no damage!):
Accel 380700 Accel Spark Plug Gapping Pliers - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
You can find them cheaper,I just used that as an example.......

Found this from DENSO:
http://densoiridium.com/installationguide.php

Last edited by randyincctx; 05 Apr 2014 at 04:11 pm. Reason: Added info.....
Old 05 Apr 2014, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CANT GAP IRIDIUM PLUGS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
the guy at auto-zone said if i gap iridium plugs they'll mis-fire i have 1 stage colder cause im gonna tune her to hell, and i thought she needed 40 gap, they come 50 gap????? please help asap im doing this job now, i can do rad flush/t stat swap to kill time, but i have to tune up today, thanks guys
IMO you should have stayed with stock heat range! "Performance tuning, also means doing spark plug evaluation before changing things like heat ranges and deciding on a gap. The democracy of suggested spark plug gap is not indicative to ones personal driving habits,condition of the engine and other modes directly effecting how spark plug will perform in the engine.
I would leave the gap as they came out of the box unless there is one by checking them is off from the others. It is very easy to damage the plug if you are not experienced in gaping those type.

It is always a good idea to learn to properly gap plug on a set of old ones. Learn how to get good 90 degree angles.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Apr 2014, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also here's a note on spark plug gaps - Say start the gap at 45, run idle when warm, do some minor drive testing, see how it runs. Then close the gap to 35, see how that works. What I do is go back and forth to find the best performance for my plugs, and normally you need the engine hot and running idle so that you can get a better feel for how well it's idling.

Personally, I think sometimes those expensive plugs are just that, expensive. I don't see a lot of gain from them. If it's a turbo engine, you definitely want plugs that don't overheat - good solid cold plugs is what you want.

Mind you, this is all my opinion, which is just general common-sense. That is how I work on my car and why it got upped to 341 hp, 365 lb ft torque!!
Old 05 Apr 2014, 08:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Also here's a note on spark plug gaps - Say start the gap at 45, run idle when warm, do some minor drive testing, see how it runs. Then close the gap to 35, see how that works. What I do is go back and forth to find the best performance for my plugs, and normally you need the engine hot and running idle so that you can get a better feel for how well it's idling.

Personally, I think sometimes those expensive plugs are just that, expensive. I don't see a lot of gain from them. If it's a turbo engine, you definitely want plugs that don't overheat - good solid cold plugs is what you want.

Mind you, this is all my opinion, which is just general common-sense. That is how I work on my car and why it got upped to 341 hp, 365 lb ft torque!!
lucky you, thats EXACTLY where i wanna be, my goal is 400hp at the tires!!!

Semper Fidelis!!!