PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Cap N/A engine 2.4 (Mr Gasket Thermocap 2471S)

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2014, 07:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Radiator Cap N/A engine 2.4 (Mr Gasket Thermocap 2471S)

I have been looking at the Mr. Gasket # 2471 Thermocap 16PSI for the awhile and wanted one but web sites only list it for the earlier N/A PT's.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mr...er?prefilter=1

Confused:

My current Stant Lev-R-Vent Radiator Cap 10330 was listed as 16 PSI and was listed as compatible for my year and model.. Its been on a couple of years no issues.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sn...del/pt-cruiser.

I was a little worried to try the MR Gasket cap as it seemed to be a no go based upon on the various venders and their compatibility tools all which indicated that this cap for the 07 N/A Cruiser was not an option.

To further add to my confusion, the Mopar OEM replacement radiator cap
is listed at 17PSI...

Before, I bought the Mr. Gasket cap I read this on the "PT DO IT YOURSELF . NET"

ptdoityourself.net PTDIY.net - PT Cruiser Technical Library Part Forty One Q&A 1001 - 1025

" The cooling system is equipped with a pressure cap that releases built up pressure, maintaining a range of 97-124 kPa (14-18 psi). There is also a vent valve in the center of the cap. This valve also opens when the coolant is cooling and contracting, allowing coolant to return to radiator from coolant recovery container by vacuum through connecting hose. If the valve is stuck shut, the radiator hoses will be collapsed on cool down. Clean the vent valve to ensure proper sealing when boiling point is reached, or replace the radiator cap. See the Pit area for additional information..."

Based upon the above, I am assuming that 16 PSI is within acceptable range?

The Mr Gasket Thermocap is equipped with valve to let the coolant return coolant recovery bottle.

"THERMOCAP RADIATOR CAP with built in thermometerKnowing coolant temperature can help to prevent burn injuries. Thermocap, with its built-in calibrated thermometer, indicates the coolant temperature. This can be the difference between safely opening a radiator cap and serious injury from steam burns. Thermocap's integrated coolant reclamation valve works with all OEM coolant recovery systems. Radia tor coolant is bypassed to and siphoned from overflow bottle as appropriate. "

Auto Part Number 2471S From Mr. Gasket | StreetPerformance.com

Long story short, I bought the MR Gasket Thermocap at PEP boys today for
$23.00. I admit more for looks for the engine compartment and for the cool temperature gage.

I took the car out to my sisters out on long Island for an extended trip and returned home with no issues. I even ran the A/C for a bit. The dash temp gage behaved normally and the car ran perfect.

Now, you guys with better wrenching experience, please feel free to tell me if you think this was a bad idea!

A couple of dollars lost is better than an over-heating issue.

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 05 Apr 2014, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Cap N/A engine 2.4 (Mr Gasket Thermocap 2471S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7627 View Post
I have been looking at the Mr. Gasket # 2471 Thermocap 16PSI for the awhile and wanted one but web sites only list it for the earlier N/A PT's.

Confused:

My current Stant Lev-R-Vent Radiator Cap 10330 was listed as 16 PSI and was listed as compatible for my year and model.. Its been on a couple of years no issues.

I was a little worried to try the MR Gasket cap as it seemed to be a no go based upon on the various venders and their compatibility tools all which indicated that this cap for the 07 N/A Cruiser was not an option.

is listed at 17PSI...

Before, I bought the Mr. Gasket cap I read this on the "PT DO IT YOURSELF . NET"

ptdoityourself.net PTDIY.net - PT Cruiser Technical Library Part Forty One Q&A 1001 - 1025

" The cooling system is equipped with a pressure cap that releases built up pressure, maintaining a range of 97-124 kPa (14-18 psi). There is also a vent valve in the center of the cap. This valve also opens when the coolant is cooling and contracting, allowing coolant to return to radiator from coolant recovery container by vacuum through connecting hose. If the valve is stuck shut, the radiator hoses will be collapsed on cool down. Clean the vent valve to ensure proper sealing when boiling point is reached, or replace the radiator cap. See the Pit area for additional information..."

The Mr Gasket Thermocap is equipped with valve to let the coolant return coolant recovery bottle.

"THERMOCAP RADIATOR CAP with built in thermometerKnowing coolant temperature can help to prevent burn injuries. Thermocap, with its built-in calibrated thermometer, indicates the coolant temperature. This can be the difference between safely opening a radiator cap and serious injury from steam burns. Thermocap's integrated coolant reclamation valve works with all OEM coolant recovery systems. Radia tor coolant is bypassed to and siphoned from overflow bottle as appropriate. "

$23.00. I admit more for looks for the engine compartment and for the cool temperature gage.

I took the car out to my sisters out on long Island for an extended trip and returned home with no issues. I even ran the A/C for a bit. The dash temp gage behaved normally and the car ran perfect.

Now, you guys with better wrenching experience, please feel free to tell me if you think this was a bad idea!

It will be fine.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Apr 2014, 07:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"bling" is sometimes functional and 'kool".

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Apr 2014, 08:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: Radiator Cap N/A engine 2.4 (Mr Gasket Thermocap 2471S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
"bling" is sometimes functional and 'kool".
I want one with a clock in it!
Danny7627 likes this.
Old 05 Apr 2014, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
I want one with a clock in it!
Na, a tack would be better!
Danny7627 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Apr 2014, 08:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

It also comes in red and blue...lol

Old 05 Apr 2014, 11:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do they make one with a compass? I might need to stop and figure out where I am.
Danny7627 likes this.
Old 29 May 2014, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: Radiator Cap N/A engine 2.4 (Mr Gasket Thermocap 2471S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7627 View Post

Confused:

is listed at 17PSI...

I have the same Thermocap and I never put in my car because I have the same doubt
Old 29 May 2014, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same Thermocap and I never put in my car because I have the same doubt
Old 30 May 2014, 04:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiliocb View Post
No problems with the MR gasket 16PSI. Car runs fine and the temp gage stays in the middle