PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need Help Cleaning Throttle Body

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2014, 11:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Need Help Cleaning Throttle Body

I need a little advice before cleaning the throttle body on my 2005 PT Cruiser - no turbo, no cruise control.

Can I just use my hand (with the engine off) to open the butterfly valve when I spray throttle body cleaner into the throat of the throttle body???

Or will that mess up the computer???

(A motorweek video said that some late model cars might need the computer reprogrammed if you use your finger to open the throttle body butterfly valve.)

Thanks in advance for helping do this. I am trying to save money, not create more problems for myself.
Old 07 Apr 2014, 11:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Need Help Cleaning Throttle Body

that would only affect the drive-by-wire cars. since you have a throttle cable that goes to the gas pedal you'll be fine.

it's only four bolts though. you'd be better off removing it and cleaning it. then you can easily remove the IAC to clean as well. it's difficult to remove the sensors screws with it installed on the engine because the screws are so close to the firewall.
Old 07 Apr 2014, 12:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you, Rob:

I may clean the throttle body the quick and dirty way today due to some issues I want to take care of sooner rather than later (accelerator sticks when first pressing it and high idle).

What tools do I need to remove the throttle body altogether and to remove and clean the IAC as well?

And is there any online tutorial how to do this? I keep searching google for videos on how to remove / clean a throttle body and they keep showing me the same video for some stupid throttle body ACCESSORY that is not related to cleaning at all (I won't mention the accessory here).

Thanks in advance.
Old 07 Apr 2014, 12:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

it's 3 bolts holding it to the intake, they are all the same and are either 10 or 12mm, i can't remember. then there is one bolt on under it that is slightly larger.

it won't take more than 10 minutes to remove. it's really a quick and easy job. you won't even have to deal with scraping and replacing gaskets, it uses an O-ring.
Old 09 Apr 2014, 01:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Yes, you can use your hand since the throttle body is not electronically controlled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
I need a little advice before cleaning the throttle body on my 2005 PT Cruiser - no turbo, no cruise control.

Can I just use my hand (with the engine off) to open the butterfly valve when I spray throttle body cleaner into the throat of the throttle body???

Or will that mess up the computer???

(A motorweek video said that some late model cars might need the computer reprogrammed if you use your finger to open the throttle body butterfly valve.)

Thanks in advance for helping do this. I am trying to save money, not create more problems for myself.
Old 09 Apr 2014, 02:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Need Help Cleaning Throttle Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
I do however recommend wearing some inexpensive disposible nitrile gloves,because TB cleaner can be pretty harsh on your hands,just like Brakleen.
Also wouldn't hurt to wear safety glasses,or goggles(you'll put your eye out,kid!~A Christmas Story~).....ALWAYS SAFETY FIRST!!
Old 09 Apr 2014, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did mine on the car. It took about ten minutes. I used one can of carb cleaner and a roll of paper towels.

Also, if you go to an external PCV vent, you will not have a nasty throttle body. This is true as long as your engine doesn't have much blow-by.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Apr 2014 at 03:15 pm.
Old 09 Apr 2014, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

Also, if you go to an external PCV vent, you will not have a nasty throttle body. This is true as long as your engine doesn't have much blow-by.
Or a catch can...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Apr 2014, 04:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

the way you have that set up air is getting sucked through that little toy filter, passing through the valve cover, then getting sucked out through the PCV valve, and into the intake with no restriction, in effect creating a vacuum leak and sucking up more oil vapor farther down the intake. i mean the factory setup is pretty much the same though, so i guess what you did has no effect but adds a little bling. i wonder why chrysler routed it like that instead of having it pull vacuum on the crankcase. makes no sense.

sorry, my new project has me searching for crankcase vacuum. lol
Old 09 Apr 2014, 04:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Need Help Cleaning Throttle Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Or a catch can...
One like this will work just fine.....

Tags
butterfly valve, throttle body