Advertisements
Which air filter box mod to do?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2014, 02:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Which air filter box mod to do?

Hi all!

So I posted another thread asking about engine mounts, but decided to keep the two different topics separate.

This time, I'm wondering about the huge air filter box, and what can be done about it.
I've had to replace the battery on my car many times already, since it dies if I don't use the car for more than a week or two due to the sound system, I'm sure. Recently it happened randomly that the battery died so maybe the alternator is going, according to Pep Boys.

But that air filter box makes those battery changes quite annoying.
I've seen quite a few mods on the forum, but I'm wondering which one is considered the better one, in terms of "performance" gain and stuff?
Also, I live in California. They are pretty anal about the air stuff.

K&Ns are pretty expensive and I figure you guys probably came up with a similar or better product for much less.
I just want something that looks better (anything will) and perhaps helps the breathing, since that box looks pretty restrictive.
Maybe even get a cool sound out of it!

Thanks!

-Leo
Old 10 Apr 2014, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Which air filter box mod to do?

Right c'heer. Cheap, easy, "hillbilly" and effective.

The "Handy" Air Intake Mod
Old 10 Apr 2014, 03:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdiaz318 View Post
Hi all!

So I posted another thread asking about engine mounts, but decided to keep the two different topics separate.

This time, I'm wondering about the huge air filter box, and what can be done about it.
I've had to replace the battery on my car many times already, since it dies if I don't use the car for more than a week or two due to the sound system, I'm sure. Recently it happened randomly that the battery died so maybe the alternator is going, according to Pep Boys.

But that air filter box makes those battery changes quite annoying.
I've seen quite a few mods on the forum, but I'm wondering which one is considered the better one, in terms of "performance" gain and stuff?
Also, I live in California. They are pretty anal about the air stuff.

K&Ns are pretty expensive and I figure you guys probably came up with a similar or better product for much less.
I just want something that looks better (anything will) and perhaps helps the breathing, since that box looks pretty restrictive.
Maybe even get a cool sound out of it!

Thanks!

-Leo

You live in California so NO ONE should be suggesting how to modify your stock air box unless you intend on off road racing. It is a state violation and fines will incur if a CHP officer does a random lift your hood inspection which they can and have done!

*ILLEGAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS: Most are illegal due to smog (27156 VC).

See Air Resources Board web site Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders for more information and a list of aftermarket parts that are legal. This site covers the most common engine modifications shown listed below for cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

* Air Cleaner Modification - modifications to the air cleaner and/or its housing.
* Air Filter/Intake Modification - open element air filters, modifications to the air flow intake tract, heat risers/preheat ducts.
* Engine Modification/Engine Change - kits that include multiple engine modifications such as new cylinder heads and camshafts, or boring and stroking; engine changes using an engine certified for another late model vehicle application, with additional engine modifications .
* Exhaust System/Exhaust Modification - exhaust manifold, exhaust headers, exhaust pipes, crossover pipes, etc.
* Fuel Line Modification - devices designed to attach to or be inserted in the fuel line..
* Fuel System Modification - fuel filters, gas caps, pressure regulators.
* Intake/Exhaust System - a kit that includes both intake and exhaust components.

California Vehicle Code Section 27156 prohibits modifications that increase motor vehicle emissions.

IMO I recommend a drop in K&N or other aftermarket performance rated air filter only. The advantage to some aftermarket air fileters is being able to clean it instead of having to replace it when it becomes dirty.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Apr 2014, 04:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You live in California so NO ONE should be suggesting how to modify your stock air box unless you intend on off road racing. It is a state violation and fines will incur if a CHP officer does a random lift your hood inspection which they can and have done!

*ILLEGAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS: Most are illegal due to smog (27156 VC).
Says the man with a whole bedroom full of heavily modified and original parts about to be installed on his California PT.

But he's also the guy with a twenty-something step process to successfully pass the California emissions tests and appears to know exactly what he's talking about. So let me caveat my recommendation by stating that my mod works wonderfully in the great sovereign state of Arkansas where the air is already so clean that a little pollution is encouraged to help get a reading on the EPA air tests.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Handy's intake will work, but the K&N FIPK still sits over the battery.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Apr 2014, 05:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And he has to pass that test visually every two years. No real performance gains anyway. Especially on a turbo. Drop in is as good as it gets.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Apr 2014, 07:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Todd you have a good point as always my friend. However I am a slight "tree hugger" so anything I do reduces or maintains the specifications for emission first and foremost!
You may have also caught that I will be running one LPG aug kits.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Apr 2014, 02:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
And he has to pass that test visually every two years. No real performance gains anyway. Especially on a turbo. Drop in is as good as it gets.

Drop in? You mean like a K&N or something?

So the "Handy" intake mod posted at the top of the thread won't work?

I have to do the smog this coming month, so could I get away with doing it after passing the smog or can I do the mod and just put the stock box back for inspection?
That mod looked nice. I'd like to mod my Cruiser a bit. Have had it for like 4 years and done nothing other than the sound system, so I'd like to modify it a bit.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 07:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Drop in? You mean like a K&N or something?

YES

So the "Handy" intake mod posted at the top of the thread won't work?

It "works" - problem is inspection

I have to do the smog this coming month, so could I get away with doing it after passing the smog or can I do the mod and just put the stock box back for inspection?

YES.
You won't be polluting, it's largely cosmetic, but you will lose trying to explain that at an inspection.

That mod looked nice. I'd like to mod my Cruiser a bit. Have had it for like 4 years and done nothing other than the sound system, so I'd like to modify it a bit.[

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Apr 2014, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don good answers except to be accurate an open air filter does emit pollutants.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN