Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What is wrong with my pt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2014, 01:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default What is wrong with my pt?

Ok so yesterday I was driving and I sped up to catch up to someone, right after that my check engine light came on and then it shut off. I couldn't get it to start again. It turns over, but there is no fire catching. I have checked the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel module. I also checked the fuel relay. I was told it could be either the cam sensor or the shank censore. Now in 2012 I replaced the cam sensor. So I am wondering if that is what is wrong. I was told that 90% of the time when a pt won't start it's because the cam sensor went out.

Please help.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 01:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: What is wrong with my pt?

First things first do the key dance and see what codes are stored. If its says done with no codes then get a code reader and see what codes are stored.

How many miles are on it? If its close to 100,000 or over has the timing belt ever been replaced? You can pull the cam sensor and crank the engine and see if the cams are rotating.

It could be a bad cam sensor or crank sensor but you really need to get the codes to get a place to start. If it is a cam sensor code a broken timing belt can cause it to set. So I would suggest before just going out and buying a new sensor to make sure to do the visual test first.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

yep everything that Ray said
Old 14 Apr 2014, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
First things first do the key dance and see what codes are stored. If its says done with no codes then get a code reader and see what codes are stored.

How many miles are on it? If its close to 100,000 or over has the timing belt ever been replaced? You can pull the cam sensor and crank the engine and see if the cams are rotating.

It could be a bad cam sensor or crank sensor but you really need to get the codes to get a place to start. If it is a cam sensor code a broken timing belt can cause it to set. So I would suggest before just going out and buying a new sensor to make sure to do the visual test first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
yep everything that Ray said
X3

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com