PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Cruiser wont turn over no clicks

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Cruiser wont turn over no clicks

My 2003 pt cruiser wont turn over! it was working fine yesterday but when I tried running this morning the engine wont turn over at all nor do I hear any clicks either and my battery is brand new. jumped the starter and worked, replaced starter relay and a relay that was located under the steering column . I pretty much opened the entire vehicle and can't find the problem! If I turn the ignition on and jump the starter solenoid and the vehicle starts up and runs but when using the key it wont turn.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 2003 PT Cruiser wont turn over no clicks

All connections clean and making good contact?(Terminals,fender ground,starter & solenoid?)......IF those are all OK,you might want to check the cables/wires from the battery to the starter for voltage with a multimeter,sometimes older cables suffer from 'breakdown', and can't carry the full power to where it needs to be.

How to Know If Your Battery Cables Are Bad | eHow
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Cruiser wont turn over no clicks

Do as Randy said, and also try pushing in on ignition switch - might be the ignition switch.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:44 pm
Young Cruiser

I replaced the entire wires Negative wires and positive wires
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX125 View Post
I replaced the entire wires Negative wires and positive wires
OK,we can check that off the list.
The next thing(s) to check would be (1st)the ignition switch and (2nd)the ignition actuator....If it's the actuator,sometimes if you push in on the ignition cylinder,while turning the key to 'start',it may work,if the 'pin' is just worn and NOT broken;If the pin is broken pushing in won't work at all.
Personally,I'm leaning towards the ignition switch myself.
Here's a good link with a photo layout of the system in this order: 'Ignition Switch'(electrical)+'Ignition Switch Actuator'(mechanical)+'Ignition Cylinder'(mechanical also)
http://www.ptcompany.co.uk/catalogue/popups/ign4.htm

Last edited by randyincctx; 15 Apr 2014 at 10:33 pm.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
OK,we can check that off the list.
The next thing(s) to check would be (1st)the ignition switch and (2nd)the ignition actuator....If it's the actuator,sometimes if you push in on the ignition cylinder,while turning the key to 'start',it may work,if the 'pin' is just worn and NOT broken;If the pin is broken pushing in won't work at all.
Personally,I'm leaning towards the ignition switch myself.
Here's a good link with a photo layout of the system in this order: 'Ignition Switch'(electrical)+'Ignition Switch Actuator'(mechanical)+'Ignition Cylinder'(mechanical also)
Ignition switch / steering lock acuator for the PT Cruiser
The good news is that switch or actuator is cheaper than a starter!
randyincctx likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: 2003 PT Cruiser wont turn over no clicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
The good news is that switch or actuator is cheaper than a starter!
And a whole lot easier to change too!IMO
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:52 pm
Young Cruiser

The switch is good I tested in my second pt cruiser and worked. I can hear a clicking noise inside the vehicle which is the relay i replaced from the steering column and seems to go to the starting switch and when turn key to start it clicks also my starter has been tested by 5 different electricians and they all said my starter was still good and strong and that im delusional xD

Last edited by RacerX125; 15 Apr 2014 at 10:56 pm.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 11:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX125 View Post
my starter was still good and strong and that im delusional xD
Maybe the starter is fine,and you are delusional....j/k
As weird as this sounds......I want you to try something.
You'll need someone to try and start the car(turn the key),and I want you to get a stick/pipe/board about 3' long & a hammer.
While your 'helper' turns the key all the way to start,your going to bang on the top of the solenoid casing(note: NOT the starter casing)....Don't be afraid to give it some pretty good whacks.
Try that 3-6 times and see if it works,and starts the car with out having to use a jumper wire to the starter.
PS.....I'm serious about this test!(You may have a 'sticky' solenoid plunger)

Last edited by randyincctx; 15 Apr 2014 at 11:11 pm.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 01:34 am
Young Cruiser

The stater and selenoid are fine key switch is fine problem is from starter relay to starter seems like some wire is not right I tried using a jumped on the relay connectors and failed, however I had to install a separate switch coming from small connector post from starter then wire to small switch inside vehicle then from switch to positive terminal on battery and now it works as a temporary fix while I get some cash to take it to an electrician :P

P.S I used one of those round cool looking START buttons and now you can't even notice something is wrong with the starting system xD I still kind of forget I installed a switch separately and try to start it using the key :S
also did anyone know that if you remove the front grill and remove just the fan and the base where the battery sits you can easily remove the starter without even lifting the car at all

Last edited by RacerX125; 17 Apr 2014 at 01:42 am.