PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt questions

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt questions

I just took back my daughter's '03 2.4l cruiser and am trying (against all odds) to get it up to snuff. The other day, it threw codes P0522, P0340 and P0344 and died. I replaced two sensors (camshaft position and oil pressure switch). Still didn't start, so I figured it was the timing belt.

First question - who the hell designed this b$&@(! And used a belt instead if a chain, then made it nearly impossible to get to?
Ahem.

I'm about 40% there, but having problems removing the silver AC cannister (high pressure switch?). Can anyone tell me how to do tgat?

Also, can anyone verify the screws that hold the camshaft position sensor in place? My son came out to help and now I can't find them.

Thanks in advance!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 10:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt questions

Way rather have a belt than chain.
Been walking thru VW everyday noting stages of a new, late model head being put replaced.
Chain must've come loose.

$$$$

disconnect your exhaust and jack passenger's side engine WAY up.

M6x1 thread, prolly 16 - 20 mm long. There's parts manuals here for download that may give you exact length.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ted is right about the chain.

Here are some things that might help.

Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

they and many other things are located here.

HOW TO's
boonie2 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Apr 2014, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice! Still having problems getting the silver AC cannister out. Seems to be connected by a Torques screw, but I can't get it to budge. Grrr!
Old 18 Apr 2014, 04:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpkr View Post
made it nearly impossible to get to?
I do recall contemplating serious felony's in midst of doing mine ...
Old 19 Apr 2014, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, moving on. According to this thread: Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

Step 17 is to remove the right engine mount through bolt. I think I access this through a rubber cover in the wheel well. When I remove the cover, I see a silver Torx bolt, size 55. I cannot get it to move, though. Any ideas?

Last edited by MrSpkr; 19 Apr 2014 at 05:24 pm.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would lift Up on the engine to neutralize the weight. If you you have something round and flat on the end. Put it in the hole on the head of the bolt and smack it with a big hammer a few times. I'm assuming you dont have access to a impact wrench.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Apr 2014, 10:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

If a fastener isn't coming loose, best thing you can do is strike directly on it's head. This sends 'shocks' thru the fastener and makes it easy to loosen.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks all. Finally got engine mounts off, outer timing cover off. Lowered engine to align crank TDC; then I gnostic ex a problem: because about half a dozen teeth are off the timing belt, turning the crankshaft has no effect on the camshaft marks. Everything I've read says turning the camshaft a independently is very bad; how should I get everything aligned properly? Should I put on a new belt, turn until the cams are aligned, then remove it and independently line the crankshaft TDC?
Old 20 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpkr View Post
Thanks all. Finally got engine mounts off, outer timing cover off. Lowered engine to align crank TDC; then I gnostic ex a problem: because about half a dozen teeth are off the timing belt, turning the crankshaft has no effect on the camshaft marks. Everything I've read says turning the camshaft a independently is very bad; how should I get everything aligned properly? Should I put on a new belt, turn until the cams are aligned, then remove it and independently line the crankshaft TDC?
Pull the plugs so you dont have to fight the compression. Align the crank. Pull the belt and by hand align the cams. The pistons on ours can't hit the valves but the valves can hit each other. So be gentle as you turn the to get them to line up.
MrSpkr likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
ac pressure switch, repairs, timing belt