Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ac problems please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2014, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ac problems please help

Ok over the past year my cruisers ac started this clicking on and off while sitting still but once I was moving it stayed on. We'll lately it has gotten worse to the point were I was losing ac while driving and would have to let the car sit for an hour! Last week I check the pressure on both ports and while running I was at 42 low and 35 on high! I then knew something was clogged or bad so I ordered a new compressor, condenser, drier, Orphis tube and installed all of it today. I evacuated for an hour and a half, then added freon which still seemed like a clog cause it took so long. Well my low is now 44 and high is 20 psi!!! I am thrown for a loop on this one! I also put air to the evaporator when the lines were off and there was no restriction. Fan works as suppose too cause every time the ac clicks on, I can hear the fan. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please lmk cause I'm lost on this one! Only thing I can think of is clogged hp hose going from compressor to condenser, I didn't check that one
Old 21 Apr 2014, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ac problems please help

Did you add while A/C is running? I've read the refrigerant must be added with the A/C running.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Apr 2014, 09:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

yes I had it running on high
Old 23 Apr 2014, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Starting to think I got a bad compressor since the pressure is staying neutralized but what a coincidence since it was already doing this on my last compressor! What's weird is when car is running and ac on, I had low side gauge on reading 43 psi and I decided to open the valve to let freon run out through the yellow hose and the freon shoots out for a split second then stops like I turn the valve off but I didn't, it even does this with ac off, freon puffs out the pressure that was supplying the gauge but then stops. It sprays out normal on the high side. Anyone know what this mean, I'm still looking for answers?
Old 04 May 2014, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Swapped compressor with another new one and still only 20 psi on the high side. There is no clog in the system as I took air to everything! Anyone have any ideas? Please help I cannot afford to take it to a shop!
Old 04 May 2014, 06:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Ac problems please help

Are you sure it's not the pressure cycling switch(low pressure switch),or the high pressure switch not funtioning correctly,and causing the issue?
Old 04 May 2014, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes they are both new. Plus I think I would still have high pressure in the system? It just wouldn't send the signal to the ECM. Could I possibly got a bad Orphis tube or drier?
Old 04 May 2014, 06:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Red face Re: Ac problems please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by salteedogg View Post
Could I possibly got a bad Orphis tube or drier?
That's beyond my limited auto/PT Cruiser A/C knowledge........You might find something trolling thru this 'more specialized' forum:Automotive AC Information Forum - ACKITS.COM