Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2014, 01:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C problems

Hi there, so I was driving down the highway last summer and using the ac and it was blowing ice cold, then out of nowhere it started blowing hot, all in an instant. So I checked the refrigerant with the gauge and it was in the red. When I put the air on in the car it blows, but like its outside air. The heater works perfectly fine. Anyone have an idea whats going on?
Thank you for any and all assistance.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 05:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C problems

Is the compressor going on and off like it should? If your in the red on your reading, you might have lost enough R134a for the system to stop working.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What is the pressure on your low and high? Im having a Simalar problem, my low side is 60 psi while my high is 25psi! And my unit has the 18 ounces that it calls for! Maybe you're just low on freon
Old 22 Apr 2014, 04:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlost33 View Post
Hi there, so I was driving down the highway last summer and using the ac and it was blowing ice cold, then out of nowhere it started blowing hot, all in an instant. So I checked the refrigerant with the gauge and it was in the red. When I put the air on in the car it blows, but like its outside air. The heater works perfectly fine. Anyone have an idea whats going on?
Thank you for any and all assistance.
The exact same thing happened to me, and I was on a highway, too. Just stopped working. Turns out there was some sort of valve that was leaking some and leaked out the freon. Fixed valve and topped of freon and the A/C has been working ever since.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 22 Apr 2014, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The guy that replaced the clutch plate said the compressor is coming on. I checked the gauge before I tried to fill it with freon and it was in the red so I attached a can and tried to fill it to see if the gauge would change. It stayed in the red but it doesn't seem like the can is any lighter and I tied for about 10 minutes to fill it. It's reading very high in the red both on low and on high. I even bought the can with the stop leak but like I said it doesn't seem like anything is going into the system from the can.