Advertisements
Window problem and AC problem

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2014, 02:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Window problem and AC problem

Hello,

I am new to this forum, didn't even know it existed until I started to search for information on my PT problems. I have a 2002 Limited (I think) with just under 85000 miles on it.

I'm the original owner, have taken good care of my baby, and have been happy with the dependability of this car - until last year when problems began. I've replaced the tie rods, the thermostat after it overheated, then fan (in the front) after more overheating problems and just yesterday, all of a sudden, my front windows won't move.

And my AC doesn't work, now that the weather is warming up I need to get this taken care of too. Is this forum where I read about the "paper clip test" some time ago, to see if the AC problem is minor? I'll ask about that later, once my windows work again. The AC went out with the first overheating event.

I have searched the forum and read all I could find about the window problems and like everyone else, want my windows to work now. I am not very knowledgeable about cars, but I can do some simple things, and it seems from what I've read that I can test fuses, buy a new window switch and even replace it.

I wonder if disconnecting my battery may be the solution?

So, with all that, my questions are, to be sure I understand what I read,
1. Is there any point to disconnect the battery? I put in a new one early in the winter. Could this work even if I haven't just charged the battery? Probably something I can try anyway, anything special I need to know?

2. If I do need to replace the window switch, is it really that easy - just remove the section in the dash, disconnect one connection, then reconnect the new one and pop it back in. I found switches on ebay and also found a source for a new one. Not sure if I should trust used part, but like the price difference.

3. I can get someone to help me test the fuses, but it seems from what I read that if the back windows work, probably not the fuses. Is that right?

I might end up at my local garage, and I do trust my mechanic, but if I can do some of this myself and save a few dollars, I would like to. Still have the AC to take care of so keeping the expenses down a little helps.

I really appreciate the great collection of information here, but, yikes, I hate to see all the other problems with PT Cruisers. I hope they aren't waiting around the corner for me.

Thanks to anyone who will reassure me, or tell me not to "try this at home."
Old 22 Apr 2014, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Window problem and AC problem

Crezwin can tell you what fuse is for the windows
most likely it is a switch or even a window motor
the fuses you simply pull the one and put in a diffrent one to see if that fixes the problem

the AC sounds liek maybe you are out of freon the paper clip test does work but im not sure if there is a jumper on the PT---have you had it serviced before???you have to get the compressor to kick on to add freon but you need to knwo it is low before you add anything
Old 22 Apr 2014, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did have some service on AC when it first overheated back last Fall. I dont really know exactly what but in process of determining what caused overheating, something was done with AC. I was told but not in detail as main problem was the overheating. It worked for a few days, then stopped. Because of time of year, I let it go but did google for info just to learn more. That's how I found the posts about the paper clip. But I couldn't figure out where to put it. Maybe I can get someone to help me with that, or I will just take it in for repair.

As far as the window switch, maybe I can do this, maybe not, but thought it was worth asking if it is really easy enough that I should try. I only had to take my car in for oil change, and such maintenance up til last summer. Now it seems I'm dealing with repairs and would like to prevent spending more than I need to.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

the over heating is never good you say it was the theromastat and i hope it was how hot did you get it???? you replaced the fan that is always a good thing lets hope the head gasket is not blown
you do knwo that in about 10-15000 miles you are headed for the Big Timing Belt water pump tensioners replacement

if you had the Ac Charged and it leaked it out in a few days you have a pretty good leak you need to find it before you add more freon
Old 23 Apr 2014, 07:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

When my car overheated, it was really hot. It was a warm day, AC was on, but didnt seem as cold as usual. I had to pull over to check something. In a subdivision, not on highway. Soon as I stopped, realized there was a bubbling noise from engine compartment. Sounded like a boiling pot of water.

Waited for things to cool down, but called AAA as I was afraid to drive it. Tow truck driver thought it could be a bad thermostat. This was on Sunday, so dropped car at garage and in the morning car was checked and ended up with new thermostat and some attention to the AC.

Things okay for few months, but car overheated again on very cold winter day after a short drive. Even with my limited mechanical knowledge, I knew this was not good. Got to garage again, every thing checked and found the fan was not working. It was replaced, but since it was January, did not check AC. I don't know if all is connected, or how, but it seems so.

AC wasn't charged then, I was planning to check things now that warm weather is coming. But meanwhile, the window problem is here.

I am not happy to hear about any possible upcoming problems. I like this car and want to keep it for another year or two, but more importantly, I need dependable transportation. Some repairs are okay, but I don't want to be hanging out at the garage waiting for another repair bill. Since I can't fix most things myself, I hope to at least understand some of what needs to be done. I won't feel quite so much at the mercy of the repair industry.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Window fuses have to be under the hood on panel on driver's side, since I looked at panel by driver's knee and didn't see anything for windows.
Fronts don't work and rears do?
Switch should not be hard to do, if that's what it is.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Apr 2014, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, front windows don't work, but back windows ok. I read through so many threads here and the concensus seems to be to replace the switch. I ordered one today from ebay, and will try to install it myself. If I run into trouble, I can take it to my mechanic for installation, at least I won't have to pay for a new part.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 07:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypriest View Post
Yes, front windows don't work, but back windows ok. I read through so many threads here and the concensus seems to be to replace the switch. I ordered one today from ebay, and will try to install it myself. If I run into trouble, I can take it to my mechanic for installation, at least I won't have to pay for a new part.
pretty simple to install. put some tape on a flat head screwdriver and pry it out. unplug the connector and that's it.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My problem is also with the windows. I cannot raise my rear window (passenger side) without the front passenger seat belt being fastened and the seat empty. Any suggestions
Old 27 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm so happy.

I received my switch from ebay, and while I did have a struggle to unconnect the old one, it was very tight connection, and not a lot of room to work it, I finally got it disconnected, plugged in the replacement, held my breath, pushed the button, and the windows are working!

So glad to have found all the information here, and feeling rather accomplished at fixing this myself. And thankful for everyone in the past who shared their experience.

Tomorrow, to the garage to see about the AC.