Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
radiator cap/ overflowing coolant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2014, 08:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default radiator cap/ overflowing coolant

my 01 limited is still having cooling issues. I am now down to it just overflowing into the overflow tank and then spraying onto my exhaust and then the coolant temp going way up. When I pop the hood as its happening I can hear air coming out of the radiator cap. My original cap I had on the car that I accidently broke and had to replace was an oem one from the dealer and it said 18psi on it.

The replacement I got from autozone that they say is for the car says 16psi on the cap. Would that difference in psi rating make the car burp into the overflow more than it should? I have no oil in my coolant or coolant in my oil so I don't think its a head gasket problem. I was thinking of having the shop test the coolant overflow tank for gases that would appear if a h.g is bad. What are your guys's thoughts?

Old 23 Apr 2014, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: radiator cap/ overflowing coolant

While searching I found this: every pound of pressure raises the boiling point of water 3 degrees. Your 2 pound difference should not make a big difference.

But lets find the real problem. If your fan working on both speeds (for non-turbo)? Are you running the correct mixture of coolant and distilled water? (50/50 mix s recommended). Is your radiator in good shape and not clogged up or partially clogged stopping the coolant from running around? Is there any air trapped in the system? Do you bleed it every time it overflows and you add more coolant?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 09:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

I had my fans take a crap on me, those were just replaced last week and the issue still persists. I do not know the condition of the radiator at the moment or if it is clogged or now and when I refill it I use a 50/50 mix of the green crap from advanced auto. That stuff has been in my car ever since I bought it 3 years ago.

I had my timing belt and water pump replaced last year so I doubt the pump went out on me and I replaced the t stat, housing, overflow tank and hose, and the upper radiator hose earlier this year.

I also wasn't sure about the cap being the wrong one or not because of being able to hear air hissing from it when I popped the hood.

Old 24 Apr 2014, 12:40 am
Senior Cruiser

You need to CONFIRM that the cooling fans are running when they are needed.
You could have an intermittent problem with the fan wiring causing the over heating. My cooling fans would run good for a week or two then overheating came back. It was the wireing connector near the fan was burned inside

good luck
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 25 Apr 2014, 01:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
You need to CONFIRM that the cooling fans are running when they are needed.
You could have an intermittent problem with the fan wiring causing the over heating. My cooling fans would run good for a week or two then overheating came back. It was the wireing connector near the fan was burned inside

good luck
I have confirmed that the fan is running when it should be now that it was replaced. I am going to check for a clogged radiator in the morning.