Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 Cruiser Horn problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2014, 09:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 01 Cruiser Horn problem

Horn was intermittent last year then just stopped working. So i just got around to caring about it after dealing with all the other issues my car has been through. So heres what I did so far. I Pulled the horn relay and put the multimeter on the female receptacle side couldnt get voltage with the car horn being pressed. Tried every possible combo but no juice. So for giggles I got to the horn and made sure it wasn't a lose contact by checking the cables with the meter those were good. So im losing power somewhere from the horn on the wheel to the relay under the hood. What else should I check?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Apr 2014 at 05:47 am. Reason: family forum
Old 24 Apr 2014, 05:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 Cruiser Horn problem

You can check the horn fuse, No#14 in the PDC under the hood and the horn electrical connection in the steering wheel.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 09:26 am
Young Cruiser

Yeah the horn relay/fuse under the hood is what i checked. I guess i can try and take the cover off the steering wheel and check that...this should be fun Just thought about this for a second, when i press the lock button on my car alarm the car horn doesn't sound either "it usually does". So that would lead me to believe its not related directly to pushing down on the steering wheel horn.

Last edited by invidious; 24 Apr 2014 at 09:35 am.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:12 am
Young Cruiser

So I solved the year old problem. It threw me for a loop when I tested the relay under the hood for the 8 ohm resistance It appeared fine on my MM. So out of curiosity i switched it with the starter relay "same make same model #" and car wouldnt start! So I guess it was the relay this whole time....smh Now If i could just figure out why every local car parts place wants $20 for a replacement when eBay sells them for an avg of $8! Waiting until i get the replacement now cause I'm not paying triple for the same stupid relay.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad you got it figured out before pulling the air bag module on the steering wheel.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.