Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2014, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery

I just purchased my first PT, I have coveted the PT since the first time I laid eyes on one. She's beautiful, a loaded, silver 2002 Limited in excellent condition, with only 80K all she really needs is a new battery and tires. I decided on original equipment for the battery so I went to the nearest dealer where I was told they would need the VIN# in-order to determine battery size. I thought this was strange & unfortunately didn't have that info with me so I left in frustration. What I'm wondering is why the VIN# comes into play. I called Auto Zone and was immediately given a price with no questions asked. I really want to stick with original equipment and with all PTs having the same engine compartment design I can't understand the problem at the dealer, they couldn't even explain it. I can understand the extra power accessories in the Limited calling for a more powerful battery but once again what does this have to do with the VIN# when it could be determined by the model. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
1PTJones
Old 24 Apr 2014, 01:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery

Probably because the guy behind the counter knows NOTHING about cars and has to look it up on his computer to give you the right answer. They should all carry the Group Size 26R for the PT. The only other real questions are, when buying a battery how much CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) do you want and how long of a warranty. The longer the warranty, the more they cost.

WELCOME to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

1) Chrysler does not make their own battery. So you can get the same quality and perhaps even in some cases a better warranty by going to a auto retail parts outlet or battery retail store.
2) Parts technicians or most of the time counter clerks only seem to know about what they can located in the parts program for dealerships. If you were to go back to that same dealership and ask for the "Parts Department Manager" that person would be able to assist you. The information is available to those that know how and where to look for it in the parts program.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Apr 2014, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[. The information is available to those that know how and where to look for it in the parts program.[/QUOTE]

The information is afvailable to thoes who actually care enough to LOOK
Auto ZOne in Rolla is the WORST place in the world if it is not on there computor forget it and a lot of tractor or land mower parts they need to look up in a bookl nope not happing

LAZY PEOPLE
Old 24 Apr 2014, 03:24 pm
Banned

Here's some information that I found while I was shopping for a new battery a couple of months ago:

I recently had to buy a new battery for my '06 Touring Edition. I had just purchased a Super Start-Premium (575 CCA) from O'Reilly Auto. While my vehicle was at the dealership for some other work, they had tested the entire starting/charging system. The tech notified me that the new battery that was just (4) days old was testing only 541 CCA. When I had originally purchased it I had inquired about how long it had been on their shelf, and it was less than a week. So I went back to O'Reilly and they load tested and fully charged a new one before exchanging the defective one. But at the dealership of course they would sell me one, an original Mopar (made by Interstate) but the original battery is only 510 CCA, would run about $160, but I wanted the most CCA that I could get. Before purchasing from O'Reilly, I had also considered the Auto Zone Duralast which is also 575 CCA. Pep Boys offers their Pro Start and Bosch Premium Performance both at 540 CCA. The Insterstate Mega-Tron is also 540 CCA. I previously had (2) Interstate batteries and didn't really like them, didn't seem to last too long so I wanted to try something else this time. All of the batteries that I had considered were 26R which is original to my vehicle.