HELP...NO IDEA WHATS WRONG :(

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tinkertot
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2014, 03:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation HELP...NO IDEA WHATS WRONG :(

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I own a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited Edition Automatic. I bought it almost 2 years ago from an older lady, it had 120,000ish miles on it. She complained it kept over heating and "something" was leaking after she took it to the mechanics and they replaced the water pump 2x she decided to sell it. We figured for $1000 i couldn't go terribly wrong seen as my first car was a 98 dodge strat that had more problems than a geriatric male does holding his pee. My uncle put her threw a stress test and Found the poor old woman was replacing parts that needed to be left alone as the only thing "leaking" was the condensation from air conditioner she kept blaring non stop.
She ran beautiful for the entire first year, even tho i ran her 30,000 miles over an oil change. When i finally convinced everyone i was in need of an oil change, the mechanic all but laughed at me when i told him i was 30,000 over. Her oil was beautiful, no thinning or discoloration, he could have sworn she had just had it done if the records didn't contradict that. Then summer of this year hit. I started having problems with the cooling, she constantly overheated never to the point of the ding but very very close. We replaced the thermostat and sensor, did a complete radiator flush and checked for leaks and found nothing. She sat parked out in our field until the mechanic could do a head test. now 8 months later we figured out that what everyone claimed was a bad head gasket and warped head was actually that the high power to the fan was shot and was not triggering it to turn on even in low setting.( Hard wiring the far to the battery showed no sign of the fan being weak there for we over looked the actual connector) So with that problem fixed here comes my new problem that no one has an answer for.
My little purple people eater has decided she does not like hills Transmission tests show no weaknesses and its not slipping. Here is what happens:
going up the hill she seems likes she is loosing power, she is not showing any increase in RPMs as if she was laboring even with the peddle to the floor. If for any second you take your foot off the gas she stalls instantly and the oil light dings. when you shut her off give her a second and then turn her back on, she acts like nothing happened and zooms up the hill. My husband is on the verge of getting rid of her and I am just not ready to give up hope...Please tell me someone here as dealt with this issue before
Busa_Powered likes this.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 04:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP...NO IDEA WHATS WRONG :(

The oil light on for no reason sounds pretty familiar. It's not supposed to affect anything but I've seen it personally where a bad oil sensor wouldn't let a car start after stalling. it won't hurt anything, so for the heck of it, try replacing the sensor in back of the engine. Use a Chrysler part, not from an auto store.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok, given that it stalled, then the oil light will come on. So I think you can disregard that for now. But I would get the codes read to see if you have something in memory that might not yet poste a light. Then I would consider plugs and some quality injector cleaner. Like Berryman's Chem tool B-12. About $3.20 and see what you have. There is the possibility of a weak fuel pump. Under a load like a hill will show up first. That can be checked on the fuel rail with a gauge. Just some things to try.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Apr 2014, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Ok, given that it stalled, then the oil light will come on. So I think you can disregard that for now. But I would get the codes read to see if you have something in memory that might not yet poste a light. Then I would consider plugs and some quality injector cleaner. Like Berryman's Chem tool B-12. About $3.20 and see what you have. There is the possibility of a weak fuel pump. Under a load like a hill will show up first. That can be checked on the fuel rail with a gauge. Just some things to try.
Makes perfect sense.
I like Lucas fuel treatment (but not Lucas electrics).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Apr 2014, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

if it sat for a long time it could be just a dirty fule system so injector cleaner is a good idea plus it could ahve gotten some condensition in the tank so maybe a fiil up would be a good idea as well
Old 25 Apr 2014, 08:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Makes perfect sense.
I like Lucas fuel treatment (but not Lucas electrics).
As long as it has the ingredient tolene in it. Check the spelling on that. But that's the clean part of the formula. Seafoam does not hove any in it. You have to go on line to find that out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Apr 2014, 03:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys well sadly she threw a check engine light today! All tho driving she has no problems! She shuttered a little bit while idling but after 1/2 a can of seafoam she calmed right down. read online about carbonating and fuel sediments kicking up after sitting for so long. Got the handy code reader out and its throwing 2 codes for the transmission module. I'm not sure what that means as she shifts perfectly and her rpms are not out of whack. I was driving right along, She made it up the hill without any hassle and never once felt like she was losing power, stopped for gas and she pinged. I was wondering if you guys have dealt with this problem. or if its a tough job to replace on your own. or it its really worth it. She has "high" miles but she doesn't act like it. And this problem is def new! Thanks for all the feed back!
Old 26 Apr 2014, 07:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertot View Post
Hey guys well sadly she threw a check engine light today! All tho driving she has no problems! She shuttered a little bit while idling but after 1/2 a can of seafoam she calmed right down. read online about carbonating and fuel sediments kicking up after sitting for so long. Got the handy code reader out and its throwing 2 codes for the transmission module. I'm not sure what that means as she shifts perfectly and her rpms are not out of whack. I was driving right along, She made it up the hill without any hassle and never once felt like she was losing power, stopped for gas and she pinged. I was wondering if you guys have dealt with this problem. or if its a tough job to replace on your own. or it its really worth it. She has "high" miles but she doesn't act like it. And this problem is def new! Thanks for all the feed back!
You need to find out what the codes mean. To know what it's telling you. You may only need a fluid and filter change, if it's never had one. Glad it's running better. Save yourself some money next time on the seafoam and go for what I suggested. Seafoam has no tolean (cleaning agent for fuel systems components)It's just a very thin petroleum product. A very good friend of mine researched this for me. And found this on their web site. So not the best bang for the buck.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
laboring, no power, stalling