PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Fan clear things up please

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator Fan clear things up please

2001 pt cruiser, over heating problem and confused with all the info i have read. I think it is the fan but want to make sure i understand all the info i have read.
checked relays, and new radiator, checked fuses, new thermostat.
my question is no matter what the situtation is ( even in the cold of winter) if i turn my AC on my radiator fan should come on no matter what the outside temp is or what my temp gauge in the car is correct.
I mean a fresh from sitting all night get up in the morning start car and turn on AC --boom my radiator fan should come on.
because it is not,. I drove it today and once i got 12 miles to my destination it was on. AC on the entire drive and temp gauge never got past the half way mark, now was that the high speed fan coming on or what.
this is so confusing.

Craig
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Fan clear things up please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROPEBURN View Post
2001 pt cruiser, over heating problem and confused with all the info i have read. I think it is the fan but want to make sure i understand all the info i have read.
checked relays, and new radiator, checked fuses, new thermostat.
my question is no matter what the situtation is ( even in the cold of winter) if i turn my AC on my radiator fan should come on no matter what the outside temp is or what my temp gauge in the car is correct.
I mean a fresh from sitting all night get up in the morning start car and turn on AC --boom my radiator fan should come on.
because it is not,. I drove it today and once i got 12 miles to my destination it was on. AC on the entire drive and temp gauge never got past the half way mark, now was that the high speed fan coming on or what.
this is so confusing.
Here is a way to test the fan. Pull the fan plug. Run a ground wire to the center prong. Then run 12v wire to the other prongs one at a time. If it fails to run on one or the other your fan is bad. And yes if your ac is operational the fan should kick on.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info ok,i will try that when i get home from work, and that plug i will have to access from underneath the vehicle on the drivers side?
and if one of them does not work then bamb i need a new fan?
if i can get this fixed the car has no problems but in arkansas it is starting to get hot. i just got the car from my brother in law 2 months ago, so not to familar with the pt cruiser. ( but it was only $1000) and is super clean and runs great until it overheats and boils out the reservoir .

Craig
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the info ok,i will try that when i get home from work, and that plug i will have to access from underneath the vehicle on the drivers side?
if i can get this fixed the car has no problems but in arkansas it is starting to get hot. i just got the car from my brother in law 2 months ago, so not to familar with the pt cruiser. ( but it was only $1000) and is super clean and runs great until it overheats and boils out the reservoir .
Lots to learn on here. Try the how to's in the sticky section on the Tech & Performance page. Keep us posted on your progress.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:07 am
Young Cruiser

I just went through this. I checked everything. Both relays, the fan itself and the wiring. It ended up being the plug at the fan. The ground connection would work only intermittently. The connector in the middle of the plug got hot and melted. I ran a jumper past the plug and the problem was solved.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

cool, i will definitely try to test it once i get home today, i have got to get this fixed.
it was just confusing as to the radiator fan coming on when i turn on the AC.
i mean point blank if it is supposed to come on the moment i turn on the AC then i do have a problem because mine does not.

Craig
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
cool, i will definitely try to test it once i get home today, i have got to get this fixed.
it was just confusing as to the radiator fan coming on when i turn on the AC.
i mean point blank if it is supposed to come on the moment i turn on the AC then i do have a problem because mine does not.
Just something that wasn't clear to me when it was said that the fan should be on whenever the A/C is on. Truth be told, the fan is on ONLY when the compressor is engaged. The compressor cycles on and off depending on temperature and pressure even though the A/C knob is on continually. So to say that the fan should be on ANYTIME the A/C is on isn't totally accurate. It's correct but not totally accurate.
Just sayin'
Old 28 Apr 2014, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AZPT View Post
I just went through this. I checked everything. Both relays, the fan itself and the wiring. It ended up being the plug at the fan. The ground connection would work only intermittently. The connector in the middle of the plug got hot and melted. I ran a jumper past the plug and the problem was solved.
You could cut that plug off and put 3 marettes instead That's what I did.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 06:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Keep an eye on the temp gauge, or else you'll need a head gasket...$$$$

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Apr 2014, 05:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to everyone for the help , i ended ordering a new radiator fan .
it should be here in a few days.
After testing it , at the connection , which was a huge pain in the rear to get to. My low speed was bad and the high sure didn't seem very high.

Thanks again everyone.

Craig