'03 Cruiser GT engine not cranking

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnnybassman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2014, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '03 Cruiser GT engine not cranking

Hi all,

A little over two weeks ago my 2003 PT Cruiser would not start. There was still power to the lights and dash, but the engine would not crank at all. A fuse had blown (20 amp Fuel Pump/ASD fuse), the fuse was replaced and the car started.

Just a week later, the fuse blew again, however this time replacing the fuse isn't working, it just continues to blow.

The relays appear to be working, though when I pull the ASD relay and turn key to ignition the engine cranks. So, I'm thinking there is a short someplace. Judging from the wiring diagrams I have, it looks like the relay goes to the PCM from there.

However, while checking wiring, I found something that appears to have been attached to the back of the engine block, on the left half. I have attached pics of what I found. I have no idea what this is for, and don't want to make an assumption as to where it was attached, but I can feel what appears to be a screw hole in the engine block, and as shown in the pics, the connection looks a little burnt.

Any thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140427_134244.jpg (93.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20140427_134253.jpg (97.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 27 Apr 2014, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: '03 Cruiser GT engine not cranking

A couple more pics, this is from the back of the engine block where I believe the connection should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140427_160314.jpg (97.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20140427_160319.jpg (97.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 27 Apr 2014, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If that hole IS where that connection should be, it means that set of wires should be grounded to the block. Since it's not grounded, that connection could be intermittently grounding on the part that it's touching and causing the ASD fuse to blow each time it touches. Just a guess on my part.

Also take that connection and look/move it around carefully to see any other place it might have come detached from.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Apr 2014 at 06:43 pm.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Looks like it got down on the exhaust. If that didn't happen Then most likely the tab acts as a heat sink and being loose caused it to fry.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Apr 2014, 07:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: '03 Cruiser GT engine not cranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybassman View Post
The relay appear to be working
Judging a relay by appearance isn't a very good method......One simple way to confirm if a relay is bad or not,is to take another relay(horn relay in your case),and swap them out;Does the car start,and the horn not work now?...If no difference,then the relays are both good;The only other way to check a relay properly,is with the use of a multimeter(continuity?).
As for the photos you posted,that is a capacitor for the 'Ignition/Radio Noise Suppressor'(part# 04606866AA),and it is supposed to be mounted/grounded to the engine w/M6x1.00 bolt,just below the throttle body,and to the left of the PDC(when standing in front).
That may,or may not be the reason for your issue,but it sure isn't helping it.
Check here for more info:
Loose connector - Green with Orange Stripe
Old 27 Apr 2014, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Judging a relay by appearance isn't a very good method......One simple way to confirm if a relay is bad or not,is to take another relay(horn relay in your case),and swap them out;Does the car start,and the horn not work now?...If no difference,then the relays are both good;The only other way to check a relay properly,is with the use of a multimeter(continuity?).
As for the photos you posted,that is a capacitor for the 'Ignition/Radio Noise Suppressor'(part# 04606866AA),and it is supposed to be mounted/grounded to the engine w/M6x1.00 bolt,just below the throttle body,and to the left of the PDC(when standing in front).
That may,or may not be the reason for your issue,but it sure isn't helping it.
Check here for more info:
Loose connector - Green with Orange Stripe
Actually I tested the Fuel Pump and ASD relays by swapping them with the horn relay and honking the horn. They all worked. Also, tried to start the car with the fuel pump relay removed and the fuse blew, then started the car with the ASD relay removed and the car cranked but didn't start and the fuse remained viable.

I'll pop into the dealer tomorrow to pick up a replacement capacitor and bolt. The bolt must have vibrated out? Very weird.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 08:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: '03 Cruiser GT engine not cranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybassman View Post
The bolt must have vibrated out? Very weird.
That's plausible,or someone had removed it during the course of a repair/service,and just forgot to put it back......But,you were able to locate the proper placement from my description and/or the photos in the thread I posted,right?
Old 27 Apr 2014, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
That's plausible,or someone had removed it during the course of a repair/service,and just forgot to put it back......But,you were able to locate the proper placement from my description and/or the photos in the thread I posted,right?
I did indeed! I don't have a bolt but I'll get one when I get the replacement capacitor tomorrow.

Thank you very much!
Old 30 Apr 2014, 06:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good news! Replacing the capacitor was the trick, the car fired up right away. The bad news: now getting error code P0480 (Cooling Fan Relay 1 Control Circuit), so now I need to check that. I test drove the car and with all the climate controls off I didn't notice the engine temp climbing about midway, which is right. Drove it for 15 minutes like that before I turned on the A/C, 5 minutes later the needle was inching towards the red.
Old 01 May 2014, 07:42 am
Young Cruiser

Ground locations question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
Bolts to the intake manifold support bracket on mine.

2003 GT- Stage 1, Mopar BOV, 2.75" catback, Hurst SS, Eibach pro-kit, 6000k fogs, Alpine CDA 7893, 10" Alpine Type-X powered with JL Audio e1400d, Alpine Type-R components powered with JL Audio e4300.