bought '05 GT from sleazy used car dealer

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busa_Powered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2014, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to NSMK377
Default bought '05 GT from sleazy used car dealer

First post from a gearhead not used to front wheel drive cars. Maybe I should have used that in the title above. I would like to keep the skin on my hands & the best way I figure is to benefit from the experience of others. I have an '05 GT with 67k on the engine. I bought some Taylor wires "Sport Compact Series" #77635 from Jegs for $35 & NGK V-Power copper plugs #4306 @ $2.50 ea. (gap .42) I put the part numbers so if I did buy the right parts this might help others. The car dealer installed new dbl. Platinum plugs when I bought my car. I pulled 1 plug after reading those plugs are not recommended for turbo motors. The plug porcelain was dark brown-any input? I also noticed the plug wires were never replaced. What is the correct way to move the top intake & while it is apart should I clean any other components? The frt opening to the TB looked like it was coated to a carmel color. I know the Ford Ranger TB had a coating so abrasive cleaning was not recomended. Does the engine need to be completely cold to remove the plugs? I worry because I also have a 2000 f150 with a 5.4 engine and plug removal can cause the threads to strip or even blow out from the head. I've never used a torque wrench on any spark plugs before & I hope for no problems. In closing-sorry for the long post. I hope for some helpful constructive knowledge. Thanks in advance. I try to do all my own work because of the expense. It is a chance buying a used car because of the lack of the previous maintenance knowledge.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 02:49 pm
Banned

Default Re: bought '05 GT from sleazy used car dealer

Yes, even if you have all the "records" it could still have been beat to hell

Rental cars for example, but can apply to most used cars, unless your 90 year old grandma drove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMK377 View Post
It is a chance buying a used car because of the lack of the previous maintenance knowledge.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

the plugs shoul;d come out pretty easy dont remember many having them rip out the threads
also dont know of a coating on the intake so id say clean it nice and good clean the air intake ot throtel body there are a lot of How To threads in the how to section
welcome
Old 29 Apr 2014, 03:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The "Coating" is probably Clear paint those used car dealers spray on everything instead of actually Cleaning under the hood....."if it shines , it looks new"
Old 29 Apr 2014, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm waiting for the sleazy dealer part?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Apr 2014, 04:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
the plugs shoul;d come out pretty easy dont remember many having them rip out the threads
also dont know of a coating on the intake so id say clean it nice and good clean the air intake ot throtel body there are a lot of How To threads in the how to section
welcome
I agree. Check the "How to" section - lots of good advice there.

BTW - welcome to the forum.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 04:55 pm
Banned

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I'm waiting for the sleazy dealer part?
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMK377 View Post
What is the correct way to move the top intake & while it is apart should I clean any other components?
Why do you want to take the intake off??? You can do plugs with intake in place with swivel plug socket.
Gap plugs at 0.040, and a tiny dab of anti-seize on plug threads.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles