PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2.4L Head Gasket Replacement

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2.4L Head Gasket Replacement

I am in the process of replacing my head gasket on my 2001 PT Cruiser, I've notice that there are 3 holes about 1/8" diameter between each cylinder valve port towards the exhaust side. 2 of the 3 were clogged with a greyish hard calcium. I cleaned them to the bottom and blew compressed air into them. What are these holes for? Do they intersect any other holes?

Noticed also that the block head deck had a few plugged passages. Cleaned them also. Hope this helps.

On the right side of the picture you can see the 3 holes in the mating surface to the block. I would have guessed another 3 on opposite side. Not the case. I may try pouring some CRC in the 3 holes, let it set overnight and see if this will clear any intersections out. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140430_223000_536.jpg (99.9 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by lmarkie74; 30 Apr 2014 at 09:49 pm. Reason: Uploaded picture of Head
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2.4L Head Gasket Replacement

Now you know why it overheated and blew the head gasket.
Sounds like there wasn't distilled water used, and possibly the wrong coolant.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just a shot in the dark , without any pictures , but those are probably your water channels for cooling your engine ...
Old 01 May 2014, 05:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Those are steam ports. They just allow extra coolant past areas that get really hot.
There aren't corresponding holes on intake side because they don't get really hot.
However, late models have ports drilled thru to exhaust side (at an angle) from the intake side for HD turbo use.

Plugging the holes wouldn't cause engine to overheat- They only work on a localized level.
Old 01 May 2014, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Now that you uploaded a picture, it doesn't look bad at all....
lmarkie74 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 May 2014, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Finished up the head gasket job today. Taken awhile because I've only been working on it a couple hours per night, not every night. Done some on the weekends, but when I look up in the sky and see nothing but blue and the temperature is 75 degrees, and my baby, a Harley Street Glide is sitting in my view, the Harley pretty much puts everything on the back burner.

Had everything buttoned up and the RPM's would not go below 2000. Check engine light cam on and I had thrown a P0340 error. Cam Shaft Position sensor. Before the gasket change, didn't have this error. I removed the sensor and didn't see anything wrong with it. Secondly, I pulled back the wire cover and the 3 wire was brittle and falling off. I siliconed each of the 3 wires and wrapped electrical tap around each and then all of them.

Anyone know what the problem is? Does anyone know the electrical diagnostic of the wiring to PCM? What voltage does each of the 3 pin measure?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09 May 2014, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarkie74 View Post
Finished up the head gasket job today. Taken awhile because I've only been working on it a couple hours per night, not every night. Done some on the weekends, but when I look up in the sky and see nothing but blue and the temperature is 75 degrees, and my baby, a Harley Street Glide is sitting in my view, the Harley pretty much puts everything on the back burner.

Had everything buttoned up and the RPM's would not go below 2000. Check engine light cam on and I had thrown a P0340 error. Cam Shaft Position sensor. Before the gasket change, didn't have this error. I removed the sensor and didn't see anything wrong with it. Secondly, I pulled back the wire cover and the 3 wire was brittle and falling off. I siliconed each of the 3 wires and wrapped electrical tap around each and then all of them.

Anyone know what the problem is? Does anyone know the electrical diagnostic of the wiring to PCM? What voltage does each of the 3 pin measure?

Thanks,

Mark
I would think you have a timing belt timing issue. But follow the wires around to the crank sensor and check those wires also.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 May 2014, 07:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I would think you have a timing belt timing issue. But follow the wires around to the crank sensor and check those wires also.
I maticulasly made sure the timing marks lined up back to the original marks. Forgot to mention it starts hard, I did read somewhere that P0340 could also relate to the crank shaft sensor. I'll check that and then the timing. I'll have to find where the crank shaft position sensor is:-)
Old 09 May 2014, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarkie74 View Post
I maticulasly made sure the timing marks lined up back to the original marks. Forgot to mention it starts hard, I did read somewhere that P0340 could also relate to the crank shaft sensor. I'll check that and then the timing. I'll have to find where the crank shaft position sensor is:-)
In the back, either at the timing belt end or at he trans end of the block. Under the stater on the front on 03 and up. Here are good pictures of the timing marks and the tensioner adjustment. lineup.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 May 2014, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Don't have the P0340 error message anymore, in fact no codes at all. Engine started right away but would not go below 2000 RPM. I realize now that the hard start was probably because the battery was low. I charged it up last night night.

Found on a code web site, battery could have something to do with the cause.
Possible causes
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery

I do have a bad gasket at the EGR tube that connects to and inside the intake manifold in the back, right after the throttle body. Would a huge vacuum leak cause high RPM?

Think now that I don't have any "check engine" light errors, it could still be the Crankshaft Position Sensor or wiring? The picture link that you sent me, was the exact alignment I had on mine before change the belt. I'd hate to have to mess with the timing again. Getting there is not hard, but not fun.