Advertisements
How to identify original factory equipment transmission

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2014, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to identify original factory equipment transmission

Is there any way to tell if my car has the original factory transmission?

Thanks to the incompetence, dishonesty, or both of a series if mechanics I had to replace my car's (2003 non turbo) engine (with a used engine).

Ever since it was replaced the transmission has been making some weird noises. My husband (who has worked on the car before) looked at it and said it doesn't look like the same transmission. He suspects that there my be a possibility that the transmission came with the used engine and they just installed both because it was quicker and easier.

We have the MSRP window sticker.
Old 06 May 2014, 04:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: How to identify original factory equipment transmission

a used transmission isn't free. i can't imagine a shop would buy an extra transmission just to be lazy.

post some pics from under the car looking up at where they meet up. are they similarly clean/dirty?

look at the bolts to see if they look clean or if the grime looks undisturbed like they weren't touched. see if the ground wire bolt by the starter has any marks from turning it and see if the other bolts have the same marks. the ground strap needs to be unbolted either way so that would be the one to compare the rest to.
Old 09 May 2014, 11:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: How to identify original factory equipment transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
a used transmission isn't free. i can't imagine a shop would buy an extra transmission just to be lazy.

If the shop had a decent engine along with a trans that was on it's last legs, they might toss in the whole package to end up with a good trans.