Advertisements
Fuel Indicator & MTE problem

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2014, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fuel Indicator & MTE problem

I need some help. I have a 2006 PT and it was parked for about a week. When I started it up again, my fuel gauge pegged to Full, and my MTE read 277. While driving my MTE actually increased, and my gauge stayed on the top peg.
The last thing I want to do is run out of gas, so is there a fix for this. I didn't see an appropriate fuse for this in the manual, and I was wondering if there was something I was missing, or if I could re-boot by disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds.

Any suggestions?
Old 10 May 2014, 09:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel Indicator & MTE problem

A quick disconnect will not reset anything. You would need to disconnect the battery, negative side, for 10 minutes to reset the computer. I would also look at your fuses may have one that is malfunctioning.
Old 10 May 2014, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Battery disconnect:

This does NOT re-set the computer.
It only removes the DTC from short term RAM. In other words all you have done is removed it from you seeing it?? What good does that do? It WILL still remain in a long term pending file until the correction has been made. Look in the IP using a scan tool.

I recommend to simply drive the vehicle for a 30-50 miles, then (hold on ya all) use the **key DTC access to see if you are showing any active DTC's (better to use scan tool).
**See Carey, Don and Brian I am trying??

The act of driving the PT will clear the proper IP in long term memory and if not then more diagnostic measures are needed to resolve the problem.
randyincctx likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 May 2014, 11:35 am
Senior Cruiser

There are a few of the so called "smart" features, such as the convertible window momentary drop when the doors are opened or closed, that can sometimes be remedied with a battery disconnect. Something as simple as static electricity can scramble those occasionally. A scan tool can remedy a lot more features. I'm not sure if a 'reset' or scan tool can help with a fuel gauge, though. But some problems caused by lose connections and grounds can only be fixed by making those connections GOOD. A false reading in a fuel gauge can also be caused by a stuck or failed sender in the tank.

I recall something about a procedure to force a re-calibration of all the gauges. I'm vague about the detail but it has got to do with the cluster lights blinking for a moment and each gauge needle sweeping from peg to peg with the result being all the gauges re-calibrate. My old brain can't remember how the procedure is triggered so maybe someone can jump in here with the info. Anyway, by doing the re-calibration, if it's not a mechanical problem with a connection or sender, you should be able to see the fuel gauge sweep completely from peg to peg.

window problem

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/1...t-cruiser.html
Old 11 May 2014, 12:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

2-step: the procedure on a least the first generation cruisers to have all the needles on the gauges go through their "dance" is by pushing the trip reset button IN and turning the key to the full ON position without starting the engine. First the numbers go through their routine and the the needles in the gauges, one at a time, go from low to high or bottom to top.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 May 2014 at 01:10 pm.
Old 11 May 2014, 01:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Being its a 2006 disconnecting the battery should reset the TIPM. I know on the 06's and up a battery disconnect remedies weird electrical issues. At least it's a place to start.