PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating PT

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2014, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating PT

Today I decided to run a few errands on this gorgeous Saturday currently at 75 degrees.

I stoped off at Mcdonalds and sat in the drive threw for aprox. 10 minutes and noticed my temp gauge was in the RED ZONE. My first impression was that my fan quit. So i hit the road as soon as i could and got up to about 30 mph and the temp slowly when back down. I went back home i checked and YEP the fan does not come on at all.

So my question is: Is it just the fan causing this, or possibly my thermostat? Has anyone had this problem before? If the fan is bad will an aftermarket one be fine to replace it with?
Old 10 May 2014, 12:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating PT

I dont know much but it could be your fan and or relay so maybe check both :S
Old 10 May 2014, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You can test to see if your fan is working by hooking up a direct power source to check the two speeds (info is here somewhere). To be honest I just took care of this issue yesterday and you should be able to hear the whirring sound in front of your car as soon as it goes above the mid point on the temp gauge, possibly sooner. Anyhow I replaced the fan and thermostat at the same time and it cured the problem. Spent about 3 hours doing that.
Old 10 May 2014, 12:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

just had this happen to my 05. the fan may not be woring. start your pt with the ac on high and see if the fan comes on. if not it may be the fan or one of the 2 relays associated with that. you can take it to a local autozone and have them read any error codes or do the key turn trick to see. if it is showing 0480 or 0481 it may be the fan instead of the relays.

if you can be under the hood and have someone turn on the ac while it's running you can listen for a click sound from the relays in the fuse block. if they click, they're usually good. i had to replace the fan motor. $75 at my local autozone and really easy to fix. just youtube pt cruiser radiator fan replacement and you will get a video how to on that.
Old 10 May 2014, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfromil View Post
So my question is: Is it just the fan causing this, or possibly my thermostat? Has anyone had this problem before? If the fan is bad will an aftermarket one be fine to replace it with?
If it was thermostat, car would not have cooled down when you drove on highway.
It's the fan.
Most people replace w/aftermarket.
randyincctx likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 May 2014, 08:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

all i had to replace on my account was the fan motor. it was a lot cheaper and only a few mor steps than the whole assembly. you might check that route first to save a few bucks.
Old 10 May 2014, 09:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yes check the fan ..But on a 2001 I would also check the water flow for a worn out eat up water pump..

Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

2001 ptcruiser overheating problem with bubbling noise post #15

Water Pump (Mega FAIL)

Last edited by Ratdaddy; 10 May 2014 at 09:32 pm.
Old 11 May 2014, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It ended up being a simple fix!
I was fiddling around with it and decided to add coolant before i do anything. I opened up the radiator cap and it appeared to be fine (maybe a hair low). However the reservoir tank was empty so i topped that off and sure enough the fan came on.

My guess is there wasn't enough coolant for the thermostat to kick on.
Old 12 May 2014, 06:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Overheating PT

Quote:
the reservoir tank was empty so i topped that off
Yeah,gotta keep that reservoir tank topped off......If by chance it does overheat in the next few days,it may have gotten low enough to introduce some air into the system(another easy fix),and you may need to use the bleed valve to remove it.
Old 12 May 2014, 07:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
It ended up being a simple fix!
I was fiddling around with it and decided to add coolant before i do anything. I opened up the radiator cap and it appeared to be fine (maybe a hair low). However the reservoir tank was empty so i topped that off and sure enough the fan came on.

My guess is there wasn't enough coolant for the thermostat to kick on.
I think your fan is intermittent - it doesn't always come on when it should.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles