PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
what do i do?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2014, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default what do i do?

Hey guys, I don't know anything about cars and I was really hoping someone here could give me some advice. I took my PT last week to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and other routine work. The car was perfectly fine before that. After Jiffy Lube the car started sounding like water was gurgling. Whenever I turn it off it sounds just like a coffee machine.

I took it today again to complain about it and they told me there is a leak somewhere because the coolant reservoir was almost empty but it is nothing they did. I find it hard to believe as the car didn't make that noise before.

The car runs fine, not overheating, no sensors going off ,no water under the car or anything, but I just checked the water reservoir myself and it is empty.

Anyway, I don't know what to do, do I go with my story to a radiator guy or a mechanic? Below is the list of what they supposedly did last week at the jiffy lube and charged me for, I was wondering if you could take a look and tell me if they did touch that part and are lying to me. Thanks guys, really, I would appreciate any advice.

Change oil
Change oil filter
Lubricate chassis
Check serpentine belt
Check radiator overflow
Radiator refill service
Recycled antifreeze
Oil system cleaner
Heartland engine flush
Oil filter
Fuel system cleaning service
Full throttle FSC
Old 10 May 2014, 11:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: what do i do?

Your First mistake was even going into the Jiffy Lube parking lot , those clowns know NOTHING the gurgle sound is probably just air inside your raidator
A Word of advice ? Dont go to any of those fast lube places please , they will tell you anything , theyre whole deal is to get you to buy more than just an oil change .... 90% of those places are rip offs IMO

Last edited by boonie2; 10 May 2014 at 11:32 pm.
Old 11 May 2014, 01:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: what do i do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatrx View Post
Radiator refill service
I'm 90% sure that's where the screw-up happened..SMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
the gurgle sound is probably just air inside your raidator
And that is the reason why!
The cooling system needs to have the air removed from the system by way of the 'bleeder valve'.
Sounds like when the coolant was 'recycled',they didn't bleed it,and with air in there it allows the coolant to boil and that's the what your hearing. Bleeding the air out should cure it right up,now whether you want to take it back and tell them what they did wrong,or attempt to DIY is up to you.

Here's where the bleed valve is located

And here's how to DIY:

Turn on your heater and set it to max HEAT. Fill up the spout with HOAT antifreeze, mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water.

The manual says to get a (three foot) length of clear tubing (one-quarter inch inside diameter) and open your bleeder valve (look at the illustration--it's just below the thermostat housing).
You'll need a little wrench because it's tight in the space down there.
So then put in some antifreeze till a little comes out the bleeder valve (so you know it's open); push the clear hose over the bleeder valve nipple and direct the opposite end of the hose into a clean catch can, under the car. You use this hose so that when you fill up your thermostat housing cover to the top--and you're bleeding out bubbles and coolant--you don't get coolant all over your alternator belt, by the way.
Open the bleeder bolt a bit more.

Keep (slowly) pouring in coolant until all the bubbles are gone and all you see in the clear tubing is a steady stream of coolant (and your filler neck is full). Now get your wrench on the bleeder valve and tighten till just snug--and pull off the clear tubing from the bleeder valve nipple.

Tighten the bleeder valve fully--snug and just a little more. Top off the thermostat housing cover neck to the top, and fill your reservoir bottle as needed. Run the engine till hot--keeping your heater control knob on full heat.
Then turn off the motor, let it cool (a lot) then top off the filler neck again (if necessary).
Put the cap back on,and your done.
Old 12 May 2014, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Randy, you are an awesome guy, thanks for the reply!!! As I really know nothing about cars and my apartment building has a code about working on your car on the premises I took it to the mechanic. He thinks there is a leak somewhere, but didn't dismiss the possibility that it might be an oversight from the jiffy lube people, so he filled the overflow (now I know what it means!) with water and told me to keep an eye on the level, if it goes down or the car overheats I have to take it in.

I drove the car around, still no lights or warnings, but I put a mark where the original level of water was after I left the mechanics, and it did go down a little bit, like half an inch maybe.

Now I am just wondering what it could be and how much it will cost...
Old 12 May 2014, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

question is did the mechanic BURP the system or bleed the air out??if not that is a must to make it work the right way
Old 12 May 2014, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I asked him about burping the car, he tried several times but he was unable to reproduce the gurgling sound, so he said if I heard it again I have to go back. I didn't hear the sound either and I drove it about 20 miles.

If it is a leak I have no clue where it is because the car doesn't leak anything to the floor....
Old 12 May 2014, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well IF it is a headgasket it will leak inot a cylender and you will never see it

To burp the system you just have to get it hot and then open the bleader screw like in the diagram the air will "BURP" out close it refill it get it hot and do this a few times it will get all the air out of your cooling system if the system has air in it it will not work properly
Old 12 May 2014, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What is the temperature gauge doing? Keep your eye on THAT.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 May 2014, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Head gasket sounds like trouble.... :-( how do you know if it is that? I don't know anything but I do know that is an expensive repair! :-( The temp stays even, it hasn't changed at all, no smoke, nothing wrong with the car, runs fine, etc. The only reason I even noticed this is because of the gurgling, but even the gurgling stopped and I can see the water is gone down a bit.

Should I go back to the mechanic and ask them to burp the car and see if that fixes it? I just don't see how not burping the car would make the water in the overflow disappear!

I also have to drive to the airport tonight... I am a little nervous about that , is it safe to take my car? .... Also, I really need to ask, do I take it to a mechanic or a radiator guy? Thanks guys, you have no idea how much I appreciate the support .
Old 12 May 2014, 08:40 pm
Banned

Lightbulb Re: what do i do?

Burp a couple of times into the tailpipe and blow- maybe that will help the pt to burp