PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Quote...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2014, 03:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Quote...

Called up a local Dodge/Chrysler dealer and got a rough quote today.

Told the manager that I have all the parts to do the job (Gates kit, Gates belts, water pump, etc...), told him the car is low mileage and fully operational and asked about how much am I looking at. Nearly pooped myself when the guy said "around $800 for the full job". He says it's a full day or more for a tech to do the job. I like to think that they would have one or two guys who have done the job a few times in the past and have the time down to at least what the tech manual says. (pretty sure it's around 4 or 5 hours)

Called another local shop, kind of a one-man show, ex-dealership mechanic, ASE guy, tons of credentials... said he didn't really even want to do the job because it's just that much of a pain in the @$$. (he's gonna call me back with a number tomorrow).

What did I get into here?

Looks like I'm gonna be wrenching again!

Is the first dealership way off base or is this just what it's gonna be anywhere?
05 PT GT Vert, Airbox mod, K&N filter, NeedsWings intake pipe, Mopar BOV, MSD wires, Autotecnica Chrome Spears, APC Taillights, Mopar Stage One, UltraGauge, Energy front suspension kit, Moog spherical bushings
Old 13 May 2014, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Quote...

to be honest the dealership will do it for $800 id jump on it it is at least a 6-8 hour job and at any labor rate at all thats right in line and a little lower than most some have paid as much as $1800 and yes i know thats a rip off but its a good fair price

The problem is IF you do not get it 100%perfect time to go back is just as much a pain as the first time asn ever bit as much work so for a warentee that they will fix it if its not right its not a bad price (i understand you already have parts that is the cheapest part of this job)
Old 13 May 2014, 04:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
to be honest the dealership will do it for $800 id jump on it it is at least a 6-8 hour job and at any labor rate at all thats right in line and a little lower than most some have paid as much as $1800 and yes i know thats a rip off but its a good fair price

The problem is IF you do not get it 100%perfect time to go back is just as much a pain as the first time asn ever bit as much work so for a warentee that they will fix it if its not right its not a bad price (i understand you already have parts that is the cheapest part of this job)
I get it, and understand the labor rates involved but damn... you'd think at least one guy at the dealership would be knockin these out like clockwork after all these years. I know from my previous experience that we had some Mercedes techs that you just went to for certain kinds of jobs because they had experience with them. Same thing happens here in the aerospace world as well, we try to go to the guys who have done it before.

And if they screw it up at the dealership (one tooth off), who's to say they aren't gonna just add the charges for the extra time anyways?

Maybe I'm just getting to that age where I don't trust anyone with my cars anymore... guess I'm gonna have to do this one too. Gonna hold off a bit though until I research the snot out of the job.

Thanks for your input!
rob342 and randyincctx like this.
05 PT GT Vert, Airbox mod, K&N filter, NeedsWings intake pipe, Mopar BOV, MSD wires, Autotecnica Chrome Spears, APC Taillights, Mopar Stage One, UltraGauge, Energy front suspension kit, Moog spherical bushings
Old 13 May 2014, 05:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaVert View Post
you'd think at least one guy at the dealership would be knockin these out like clockwork after all these years.
it isn't hard work. it's just slow and time consuming. there's just no corners to be cut. i cracked it apart and put on the new tensioner in a little under four hours, my shop running friend spent about 30 seconds lining the belt up for me. we started and revved it to make sure it was right, and i spent three hours throwing it back together. i work quick and correct. i can't imagine anybody could do it much faster, no matter how many times they've done it. ya know?
Old 13 May 2014, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

$800 is not out of line at all. What did the parts cost you?
Expect motor mounts may be bad.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 May 2014, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Gonna hold off a bit though until I research the snot out of the job.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

Maybe this will get you started on you research.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 13 May 2014 at 07:50 pm.
Old 13 May 2014, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Timing Belt Quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post

Yup!
Agree.
Mine was $1,200 with parts.
And they did keep it overnight too.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 14 May 2014, 11:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Just found a guy who says he'll do it for $350. Seems like a pretty respectable mechanic looking to make an extra buck. I'm gonna stop by his shop and check it out before we agree to the deal. he said he's done them on Neons before with no problem.

Anyone know if it's still the same PITA to do the job on a Neon as opposed to a PT?

And also, where can I order some HOAT coolant? Just go to a typical auto part store or is there a cheaper place online?

Oh, I already did the lower mount, the upper one still has to go in.

Thanks once again guys for all the links too, I plan to do some serious print-outs to hand to the hopeful mechanic.

Last edited by VanillaVert; 14 May 2014 at 11:47 am.
Old 14 May 2014, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaVert View Post
Called up a local Dodge/Chrysler dealer and got a rough quote today.

Told the manager that I have all the parts to do the job (Gates kit, Gates belts, water pump, etc...), told him the car is low mileage and fully operational and asked about how much am I looking at. Nearly pooped myself when the guy said "around $800 for the full job". He says it's a full day or more for a tech to do the job. I like to think that they would have one or two guys who have done the job a few times in the past and have the time down to at least what the tech manual says. (pretty sure it's around 4 or 5 hours)

Called another local shop, kind of a one-man show, ex-dealership mechanic, ASE guy, tons of credentials... said he didn't really even want to do the job because it's just that much of a pain in the @$$. (he's gonna call me back with a number tomorrow).

What did I get into here?

Looks like I'm gonna be wrenching again!

Is the first dealership way off base or is this just what it's gonna be anywhere?
This work on my '06 Touring Edition was almost $1900 (timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, upper & lower motor mount, alternator & serpentine belts, PCV valve, coolant & cooling system flush, spark plugs, thermostat). The labor alone was $1229.93 the rest was parts, shop supplies, envorinmental disposal fee and tax. The reason I went with the dealership is for the experienced mechanic and peace of mind. I took my vehicle in early in the morning, they provided a rental vehicle as they had my PT part of another day to finish it and clean it up. If a dealer quoted $800 for the labor only, that is pretty good. The only issue could be with your supplied parts. If something were to go wrong, they could potentially say it was because of your non-OEM parts and you would most likely have to pay the labor to tear it apart, again. All of the parts they used on my PT were OEM, this was for my peace of mind, if someting were to go wrong or fail, it would be either their parts or labor and they back both with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. I've got over 15,000 miles since the work was done and have not had any problems.

Last edited by rckstein; 14 May 2014 at 02:12 pm.
Old 14 May 2014, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

a lot of times the Peace of Mind is worth the extra we have to pay
rckstein likes this.