PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Won't crank sometimes - dies when driving - electrical issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2014, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Won't crank sometimes - dies when driving - electrical issue?

Hey guys I used to be in this forum a few years ago but can't remember my username so I made a new one. (email no longer exists)

Anyways a 2001 cruiser, NA model.

New battery, new ignition switch.

The car sometime won't turn on, as in when I turn the key to start nothing happens, not even a click. The accessories and run posistion work.

I checked the ground wire from the battery to the frame and that is fine. The wires on the starter seem to be fine. I know the issue is not the starter because sometimes if i jumped it it would work... not anymore.

When I do get lucky and have the car start I would drive or even turn the wheel or something and all of the suddon it will die and it wont start up (turn over or crank) at all. Then I'll try a week later or so and it works. Have been fighting this issue for months now.... I'm pretty sure its something electrical I just can't find it.

I read a thread talking about one of the two pins from the barrel tto the ignition switch being broken but I replaced the ignition switch right now and I don't see anything like what is described.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 15 May 2014, 07:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Won't crank sometimes - dies when driving - electrical issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansour View Post
I checked the ground wire from the battery to the frame and that is fine. The wires on the starter seem to be fine.
I noticed you failed to mention checking the positve connection to/in the PDC........If that is slightly loose,cracked,or broken for any reason,it could cause 'no-starts' & 'dying while driving' issues.
Just follow the positive cable straight to the PDC,and you should see the 2 nuts that hold the terminal inside(by the '+' jump start terminal),see if it's loose or anything,maybe while car is running to see if it dies then.

PT_PDC.jpg

Last edited by randyincctx; 15 May 2014 at 07:55 pm.
Old 15 May 2014, 08:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Won't crank sometimes - dies when driving - electrical issue?

Take the plastic shroud off the steering column and look at the wiring and look for connectors and examine them. Try tilting the wheel up & down and watch the wiring. Does radio display go out?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 May 2014, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Awesome ideas. I tried the steering trick before but didnt look at the radio. Ill be at the car in 30
Old 17 May 2014, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Take the plastic shroud off the steering column and look at the wiring and look for connectors and examine them. Try tilting the wheel up & down and watch the wiring. Does radio display go out?
YES! The radio display goes out! What does this mean?
Old 17 May 2014, 02:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The connection by the pos jump is good
Old 17 May 2014, 02:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So when I try to start it, the radio display goes out. When I move the wheel it comes back on. I try to start and the display goes off again. I tried starting while moving the wheel. No luck
Old 17 May 2014, 06:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
YES! The radio display goes out! What does this mean?
It's pulling on a connector, so connection makes & breaks.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 17 May 2014, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
It's pulling on a connector, so connection makes & breaks.
Do you know which one is associated with it? I checked and disconnected and connected all of them when I did the ignition switch
Old 17 May 2014, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Do you know which one is associated with it? I checked and disconnected and connected all of them when I did the ignition switch
No. I'm sharing what others have found. Carefully look at wires for any chafing/pulling, and are wires tight in the connectors?