Replacing the fuel pump to solve issues

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2014, 11:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Replacing the fuel pump to solve issues

Ok, 2003 PT non-turbo, 130,000 miles.

This car idles around 700-800 rpm, engine practically dies and idles really rough.

Changed the plugs and wires, doesn't help.

Cleaned throttle body and other parts connected to it.

I'm suspecting a clogged fuel filter, which means replacing the fuel pump since they're located inside the tank.

Is there a way to test the pump before having to drain and drop the tank to do this replacement? Do you think it's time to change the fuel filter after 130,000 miles anyway?

Thanks

Last edited by jkdrummer; 15 May 2014 at 11:44 pm.
Old 16 May 2014, 01:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing the fuel pump to solve issues

You did not mention how the engines runs off idle?

To properly test the fuel system you would at least need a fuel pressure instrument.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 May 2014, 02:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

It's a dog when I take off from a stand still, I can literally put my foot to the floor and it won't move fast but it's slow to react and it lags but then kicks in.

Is there a schrader valve where I can hook up a pressure guage?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 16 May 2014, 06:59 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdrummer View Post
It's a dog when I take off from a stand still, I can literally put my foot to the floor and it won't move fast but it's slow to react and it lags but then kicks in.

Is there a schrader valve where I can hook up a pressure guage?

Thanks for the reply.
A while back I had my '06 Touring Edition at the dealership for some other work, while they had it I had them do a fuel system pressure check. I saw the gauge set up while installed on my PT and I believe there is a quick disconnect at the firewall, on the passenger side where the steel line comes into the engine compartment, that they unplugged and hooked up their gauge set to. The gauge set up was two gauges, similar to HVAC work, and they could check the fuel pump pressure, then turn a couple of valves and also check to see if the injectors are holding pressure. They let the gauges set to check any bleed down from the injectors as well.
Old 16 May 2014, 08:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Usually the symptoms are the opposite of these. Idle great and looses power on acceleration under load. Pressure check as Nitro said will confirm.
Put some Berryman's chemtool B-12 in the tank. Good stuff and can't hurt. May be a dirty injector.But kinda sounds like a timing issue. Belt ever done?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 May 2014, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Usually the symptoms are the opposite of these. Idle great and looses power on acceleration under load. Pressure check as Nitro said will confirm.
Put some Berryman's chemtool B-12 in the tank. Good stuff and can't hurt. May be a dirty injector.But kinda sounds like a timing issue. Belt ever done?
Glad you said that.
I have never had a fuel pump go bad or a filter clog, but logically, fuel supply would be adequate at idle but choke off under acceleration with a clogged filter or a weak fuel pump.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 May 2014, 08:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

NOTE: This happen to me several years back, with the same brand only a Neon. Picked it up cheap at the JY and got it towed home, it only needed a fuel pump, $35 at the local JY and it was up and running, but no power and it sounded like it was sucking a lot of air when you hit the pedal.. Fuel pressure was good, even while running , injectors were fireing. I happen to change the injectors from another car and bingo we were in business.. What happen was the steel band around the fuel pump rusted and the very fine bits of rust (Iron) passed through the so called filter, its just a fine mesh at the pickup, and stopped when they got to the injectors. When I pulled the injectors off the fill tube pipe some injectors were actually full to the top with very fine rust (Iron). That let enough gas through the rust to run smoothly but absolutly no power..
It ran like new after replacing the injectors. May be you can find a good used set off an old motor to try.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 17 May 2014 at 05:12 pm.