PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
That infamous gurgling from under the hood

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2014, 03:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default That infamous gurgling from under the hood

Oh boy. it has begun. Sound is just awful really, really makes one think the car is about to blow up it's so loud.

So after reading around, the answers are just endless.

So, i checked to see if fan is working fine and it is, but the car loses coolant fast with no signs of leakage. I bled the system, next thing is the radiator cap, though it seemed to look alright, but I am no expert. Mechanics here just charge a fortune outright for looking at this car.

The gurgling sound comes at times and the temp gauge moves up past 3 o clock but then it settles and comes back down fine.

I am reading about cracked head gaskets could cause the issue, but is there any other symptom which this would give off if this is the case?

Old 17 May 2014, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: That infamous gurgling from under the hood

Thermostat.
Low coolant
Clogged radiator
high speed of fan not working

You said fan works - is it VERY noisy? If it isn't that's the low speed - your high speed could have died.
Check hose from radiator to coolant bottle -it may have a split.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 May 2014, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with QSD. First you have to find out where your coolant is going. It might be dripping onto a hot area and evaporating before it hits the ground or like you say, cracked head gasket which is letting coolant leak into the cylinder head. Small drops won't produce a lot of smoke out the tailpipe. You might be able to see some milky like fluid on the oil dip stick.

A lot of places carry a pressure tester for the radiator and hoses. It fits right onto the place where the radiator cap goes and puts pressure into the system to help find any small leaks. Most places will do the test for free.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2014, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

A lot of places carry a pressure tester for the radiator and hoses. It fits right onto the place where the radiator cap goes and puts pressure into the system to help find any small leaks. Most places will do the test for free.
Might not apply in the UK...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 May 2014, 06:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Might not apply in the UK...
Which one Don, the pressure tester or doing it for free.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2014, 02:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Man the car overheated. No sign of a leak coolant still there but I cant hear any fan

Old 17 May 2014, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it got hot enough to overheat and you can't hear any fan (high speed - which is very loud) then fan connection, fan fuse, relays have to checked out to find out what's wrong.

Old 17 May 2014, 02:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes. I got a feeling it may be fan related. Coolant evaporated I think and may of come out of overflow. But definitely can't hear the fan. Engine light flashes then goes off but I haven't been given any codes. How depressing, I am waiting to be towed lol. Though thankful It happened in a car park.

Old 17 May 2014, 03:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just wanted to say a thanks for the feedback. Guy who towed me was good, did all the diagnostics etc. Definitely not a leak, but he too said fan was sometimes working, sometimes not, but he thinks its the thermostat.

Old 17 May 2014, 04:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
Just wanted to say a thanks for the feedback. Guy who towed me was good, did all the diagnostics etc. Definitely not a leak, but he too said fan was sometimes working, sometimes not, but he thinks its the thermostat.
I went through this a few weeks ago on my 01 Limited automatic. Same car it sounds like.
My fan worked intermittently. Turns out plug to the fan got hot and melted slightly so that the ground wasn't always in contact. I ran a small jumper and that fixed it.