Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My 2004 PT Cruiser is running rough.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2014, 01:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default My 2004 PT Cruiser is running rough.

Folks: I'm new here and hope I'm even posting this question in the right place. My wife and I bought a 2004 PT Cruiser a few months back and it has run like a sewing machine.... Till today. It started acting like one second it was getting too much fuel, and starving for fuel the next. I have searched this site and others, as well as put the car on a computer code reader and the code I got was a bad (MAP), or Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor". Does this sound correct to anybody here?? I can't afford a shop or dealer, nor can I just afford to start throwing parts at it till I fix hit the right one. Thanks a MILLION for any tips. I have also had cars in the past that the O2 sensor went bad and it gave me VERY similar problems??? Any ideas Thanks a MILLION, Chuck
Old 22 May 2014, 09:45 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: My 2004 PT Cruiser is running rough.

Whether you are following the fault codes or following someone's advice you are going to throw money at it until it's fixed. Most parts stores have a lenient return policy. Buy the MAP sensor and put it in. If it doesn't solve the problem immediately take it out, clean it up and take it back.
Old 22 May 2014, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

cam sensor si the one that usally goes first but try the map actually putting on a new part on a 10 year old car is not really throwing parts at it you will need to get a genuin MOPAR sensor--well that is my sugestion i ahve no way on knowing how the PT knows what sensor you put on but on mind i put 2 aftermarket cam sensors they lasted 2 weeks oput on a mopar its been 2 years
Old 22 May 2014, 10:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Patriot View Post
Whether you are following the fault codes or following someone's advice you are going to throw money at it until it's fixed. Most parts stores have a lenient return policy. Buy the MAP sensor and put it in. If it doesn't solve the problem immediately take it out, clean it up and take it back.
I have found many parts places will NOT take back electrical parts. Better check first.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 May 2014, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NAPA will NOT in any way take a electrical part back and I have had my account with them for years its just there rule well at l;east here in missouri
Old 22 May 2014, 12:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
NAPA will NOT in any way take a electrical part back and I have had my account with them for years its just there rule well at l;east here in missouri
Good point. Luckily I've never had to deal with sensor issues in my PT so I haven't had to learn (possibly the hard way) parts stores return policy.
Old 22 May 2014, 01:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Autozone will take electrical parts back if not installed. And if the part does not look like it was installed, many parts clerks will not ask. But it's always a bad deal to put yourself in a position where you might have to lie, even if just by omission.

Another option is a salvage yard. While it is always possible, the odds of pulling a bad cam or mass sensor off of a salvage car is pretty low. And you can usually get them for about $5 each. And if they seem bad, many salvage yards like Pick-&-Pull and U-Pull-It offer free replacement within so many days of sale. This might at least let you know if one of these is causing your problem. And then you can save up for a new part while you continue to drive on the salvage part.
Old 22 May 2014, 01:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
...Another option is a salvage yard. While it is always possible, the odds of pulling a bad cam or mass sensor off of a salvage car is pretty low....
Handy's suggestion is a DANG good one if you are on a budget, Chuck.

Cars USUALLY end up in a junk yard cause their wrecked...not cause the MAP sensor crapped out. LOL

And I would DEFINITELY go with the code. The best I can tell, the MAP is up steam in the programing from most of the other sensors. Meaning that it will cause false positive codes for other sensors, but other systems usually do NOT cause false positive code for the MAP sensor.

SO....logically, if it is throwing a MAP sensor code and nothing else, THAT would be the first thing I tried. But that's just based on what I've come to BELIEVE researching a different problem with my 06 over the past couple weeks...NOT from any expertise in the computer controls of the Cruiser.

To be honest, the way all these sensors work with the CCM is STILL more like alchemy than science to me. The more I learn...the more confused I get! LOL