Advertisements
2006 PT shaking when idling with AC

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PT_Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2014, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry 2006 PT shaking when idling with AC

Last week my PT started shaking every few seconds when idling with AC on. Always giving cold air but when idling it almost feels like it's struggling and revving up a little. Once I'm moving it's fine. Last night the engine light came on. Anything I can do to try and solve this? The mechanics wont be able to see me until Tuesday.
Old 23 May 2014, 03:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT shaking when idling with AC

Sounds like the radiator fan isn't working. Search this forum and you will find a wealth of information about this well known problem and ways to troubleshoot it.
Old 01 Jul 2014, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2006 PT shaking when idling with AC

Update: I could see that may fan was working and I always had cold air even when idling with the shaking every couple of seconds. I read a thread here where the gentleman performed a tune up and that fixed his problem. I went a head and got a tune up since it was due anyway. That did not stop the shaking but the mechanic tested my battery while I was there and informed me that I needed a new one. (FYI I did not mention the shaking, I was just there for a tune up) So I went back and got a new battery. Problem Fixed NO MORE SHAKING WHILE IDLING WITH THE AC ON.
Old 01 Jul 2014, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Shaking cured when a new battery fitted? That's one for the books but I doubt we'll be passing that along to anyone else with shaking at idle with the A/C. I'd ask the mechanic what he happen to do besides change the battery that might have helped with the shaking.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Jul 2014, 08:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm thinking that the draw of the A/C combined with heavy draw from alternator (to charge low battery) was the cause of a heavy load on engine.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Jul 2014, 08:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you are there for a tune up why would he check the battery other then to try and sell you something you didn't need. I agree with Crewzin. I wonder if he found a vacuum line loose or broke while replacing the battery.
Old 03 Jul 2014, 01:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

could be the IAC Valve or just the hose going to it?
Old 04 Jul 2014, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Re-reading the post - it seems likely that the tune-up - (I assume tune-up = new wires and plugs) - is what cured the shaking.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 04 Jul 2014, 08:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carre832 View Post
Update: I went a head and got a tune up since it was due anyway. That did not stop the shaking but the mechanic tested my battery while I was there and informed me that I needed a new one.
Don, I would have thought so too but then he said the above and I ruled that out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Jul 2014, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh well, at least he's fixed....