Front is crunching, grinding, and shaking

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2014, 10:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Front is crunching, grinding, and shaking

Ok boys, here we go...
When I first accelerate I get this bangy kinda crunching noise while going forward and worse when starting to turn. Then, as I increase my speed it starts with the vibrations and the sounds associated with it. It started with just a fast dr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r that's progressed into a louder thd-d-d-d-d-d-d-d but now along with that is a much slower and lower wha-wha-wha-wha. Let's say there's about 4 thds to every wha. I know, I know, but it's the only way I know to describe it. Mostly noticeable on the highway. I can feel the sounds in my steering wheel as well as my foot pedals and floorboard. I just noticed today that my back psgr tire is worn down almost to the chords. This happened just recently. I've been told it could be the steering rack and tie rod ends. I'm leaning more towards cv joint, too. Had wheel bearing replaced a year n1/2 ago or so along with new tires and some other related things to combat the trickle down effect. Oh and I jacked it up and put it in gear and it still makes the banging sounds, even with no weight on the front end. Nothing seems to feel too terribly loose. There is a little play when teetering front wheels. Couldn't find another cruiser with exactly the same predicament when searching but Im sure this sounds familiar to someone....Any and all help is greatly appreciated! And parts in my area right now are 50% off this weekend! No better time than now.....
Old 25 May 2014, 04:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front is crunching, grinding, and shaking

The irregular tire wear is almost certainly an alignment issue.
When you had bearing replaced was noise similar? You may have lost another one.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 May 2014, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You may have more than just the front. Spin the back tires in the air as well. All of the things you mentioned are suspect. Especially the bearings and cv joint.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 May 2014, 11:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

can you make a video?
Old 25 May 2014, 01:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it's very similar to the wheel bearing symptoms only x 3. When I jack the back up am I watching for the same thing? And Rob I can make a video but I'm not so sure you'll be able to tell much. I guess I can show you how much play is there when I move the wheel. You maybe able to hear it. Well see! I'll do that when I get home today! The more I think about it Iim starting to think maybe its the front cv joint and back wheel bearing....
Thanks guys-- ANYMORE suggestions while I'm doing the other?
Old 25 May 2014, 01:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i doubt i could be of any help, i just wondered what this sounded like:

Quote:
progressed into a louder thd-d-d-d-d-d-d-d but now along with that is a much slower and lower wha-wha-wha-wha. Let's say there's about 4 thds to every wha.
randyincctx likes this.

Tags
cv joints, front end noise, steering rack, tie rod ends, vibrates