PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do chemicals repair engines?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2014, 06:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Do chemicals repair engines?

Apart from an engine rebuild (which I cant afford right now), has anyone had any noticeable improvement to piston slap using oil additives?

I am suspicious of a chemical that can fix a mechanical problem.
Old 26 May 2014, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Do chemicals repair engines?

Most of us are suspicious also. Saying that, there's a few of us that use fuel injector cleaner although some of the adds on TV say that THEIR fuel does it all. I used to believe in a can of STP to quiet down sticky valves but I don't have that problem any more.

Found this in a search:

I've seen tear-downs of slapping engines and saw different things. If the piston slap is caused by carbon build up at the edges of the piston and near the top of the piston stroke then something that cleans that out can help. If it's mechanical contact between engine parts then nothing will help short of a mechanical fix. Piston slap comes from a lot of cases and until they can be separated you are just guessing, which could make solving the problem more difficult. If say GM says it causes no harm you don't know if that answer is coming from an engineer or a bean counter.
But an interim solution is worth the experiment. Try cleaning out the engine and then a different oil.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 May 2014, 07:16 am
Veteran Cruiser

I am also suspicious of a chemical that can fix a mechanical problem.

unless you're burning too much oil i really wouldn't worry about it.

it runs fine, just sounds like this when cold?
Old 26 May 2014, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Which engine are you running? We only have the 2.4 here in the states. The good thing is, oil additives won't do any harm in my opinion.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 May 2014, 07:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Auto and oil manufacturers advise to steer clear of oil additives. They do nothing to fix piston slap and can degrade the oil.

If the issue is carbon build up, use of fuel system cleaners that have been proven to clean combustion chambers may be useful. As would air intake cleaners proven to do the same. As easy as pouring in the gas tank or spraying into air intake. Then use a better oil and fuel to maintain.

Last edited by Gold2006; 26 May 2014 at 08:15 am.
Old 26 May 2014, 08:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a 95 Conversion Van 5.7 L that sat for years before i bought it , the rear main seal was leaking really badly , and used an additive from "bars leak" to soften up the seals.. hasn't leaked a drop in 2 years .. I don't believe that's totally true about the Oil Additives Gold but its your opinion

Last edited by boonie2; 26 May 2014 at 08:04 am.
Old 26 May 2014, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
I have a 95 Conversion Van 5.7 L that sat for years before i bought it , the rear main seal was leaking really badly , and used an additive from "bars leak" to soften up the seals.. hasn't leaked a drop in 2 years .. I don't believe that's totally true about the Oil Additives Gold but its your opinion
Seals, yes. Piston slap? I'd say depends on the cause of the slap. If the bore is too big for the piston, I can't see an additive fixing that.
I've heard of people who fixed a leaking radiator with a chemical - I haven't had luck except I do feel injector cleaners added to gas can help.
boonie2 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 May 2014, 11:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Piston slap could also be a wrist pin too , if that's the case forget additives
Old 26 May 2014, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

anyone remember the J C Whitney engine restore chemical treatment that had the little dark color balls you placed in each cylinder. Claimed restore engine power and reduce smoking wooooow!!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 May 2014, 02:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Do chemicals repair engines?y

Guys if that's the neon 2.0, it's neither uncommon or dangerous. The video I posted is a car that has been running fine with piston slap for 60k miles. With Hondas peopl would complain they sounded like sewing machines because the rockers tick, but those are designed that way.