PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Composite Intake

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2014, 12:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Composite Intake

Hi, my first time registering and posting on the forums here, but have googled 100's of things and ended up here for answers, I ran in to a couple questions that I couldn't track down answers to, I'm running a fully built engine with a gt3076r in my 03 gt, how much boost can the composite intake manifolds take before possibly splitting a seam, has this really ever happened? Also I know the getrag's are a solid tranny, I'm running a spec stage 4 clutch and probably sometime after recovering from the cost of the engine build an LSD, but how much hp can you safely run through this tranny before you need to worry about damaging it?
Old 28 May 2014, 06:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Composite Intake

You might also want to join PTCrew.Com, lots of knowledge there, too.
I can't answer your questions.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 May 2014, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTPT03 View Post
Hi, my first time registering and posting on the forums here, but have googled 100's of things and ended up here for answers, I ran in to a couple questions that I couldn't track down answers to, I'm running a fully built engine with a gt3076r in my 03 gt, how much boost can the composite intake manifolds take before possibly splitting a seam, has this really ever happened? Also I know the getrag's are a solid tranny, I'm running a spec stage 4 clutch and probably sometime after recovering from the cost of the engine build an LSD, but how much hp can you safely run through this tranny before you need to worry about damaging it?
Not sure of the boost number on the plastic intake but not a worry on the aluminum one plus the fact it can be ported. But the boost pressure will not be high enough to burst the plastic one . A back fire may do it though.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 May 2014, 08:22 am
Banned

No need to, nitro is on both sites

He has the knowledge and experience to help

Plus his wife is a hottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You might also want to join PTCrew.Com, lots of knowledge there, too.
I can't answer your questions.
Old 28 May 2014, 08:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

They can handle the extreme pressure of nitrous injection (800psi at bottle 800) so most "sane" turbo chargers boosting anything up to 30psi (lol) not a problem.

IMHO () if you are looking for maximum engine output you should be using an aluminum intake anyway.

Busa thanks...I think so myself!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 May 2014, 09:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

hmmmm good to know, i always heard the opposite, that you want the composite intake if you're pushing higher hp, etc. i don't have the stock aluminum one for this car, it was already swapped for the plastic unit when i bought it a few years back, and i'm trying to avoid an srt4 intake swap, although the intake not covering the whole top of the engine would be so much nicer.

not planning on pushing 30psi, with the engine build, etc, i should be about to get a little over 500whp out of roughly 26psi, i have a 75 shot of nitrous rigged up too, but who knows if i'll ever use it lol

and ya i forgot about ptcrew, i think i posted there once a little over a year ago, i honestly forget that place exists, guess that's the downside about not showing up on google.
Old 28 May 2014, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a lot of dated information on many forums. It takes being knowledgeable to be knowledgeable about what is empirically correct. So to say.
I have and used a 75 shot and it makes a fun ride.
You might spend a day on the DYNO and then rethink your goal of HP.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 May 2014, 10:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Nitro and I have had a couple of discussions about the aluminum versus composite GT turbo intakes in the past. While I don't doubt his findings that the aluminum mani flowed more in his tests, I still personally favor the composite. The aluminum is purported to have a 10% flow imbalance between runner 1 and runner 4 with 2 and 3 falling somewhere in between. This has a big impact on A/F ratio and power delivered from cylinder to cylinder. I have half jokingly said..... "You want more flow from the composite mani? Turn the boost up another PSI".

Now, could the aluminum mani be worked over to better balance its flow? Sure, with a lot of time and testing, individual runners could be opened up or restricted to even them out and that would be ideal. But comparing apples to apples, right out of the box, the composite seems to win due to the better balance..... to my thinking, anyway. Now pay close attention to my next comments. What I am NOT saying is more boost is always the cure for flow issues. Not at all. I am saying that in this case, a better balanced intake mani might be the lessor of two evils. There can be some factors that I'm not aware of that could change my mind and I remain open to that.

And by the way, I can believe that there are many young ladies who would think Nitro is a hottie, too.
Old 28 May 2014, 11:37 am
Banned

See the tree picture and you will change your mind. He got the better end of the deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
Nitro and I have had a couple of discussions about the aluminum versus composite GT turbo intakes in the past. While I don't doubt his findings that the aluminum mani flowed more in his tests, I still personally favor the composite. The aluminum is purported to have a 10% flow imbalance between runner 1 and runner 4 with 2 and 3 falling somewhere in between. This has a big impact on A/F ratio and power delivered from cylinder to cylinder. I have half jokingly said..... "You want more flow from the composite mani? Turn the boost up another PSI".

Now, could the aluminum mani be worked over to better balance its flow? Sure, with a lot of time and testing, individual runners could be opened up or restricted to even them out and that would be ideal. But comparing apples to apples, right out of the box, the composite seems to win due to the better balance..... to my thinking, anyway. Now pay close attention to my next comments. What I am NOT saying is more boost is always the cure for flow issues. Not at all. I am saying that in this case, a better balanced intake mani might be the lessor of two evils. There can be some factors that I'm not aware of that could change my mind and I remain open to that.

And by the way, I can believe that there are many young ladies who would think Nitro is a hottie, too.
Old 28 May 2014, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's what I've heard over my years of gathering up info on pt forums, the composite is more evenly balanced over the aluminum intake, in my book a more balanced airflow is more important than a bit higher volume of airflow. I only have this setup to 11 psi right now so I'm just planning for when I do turn up the boost, this turbo already hits like a sledgehammer lol