PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 Manual T, lost reverse

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2014, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 Manual T, lost reverse

I have a 2005 PT with manual transmission. At 58,000 miles I had to have the transmission replaced - gears were sticking, if I remember right. (mechanic said it's a sealed unit and they had to replace the whole unit). I am now at 73,000 and have just lost reverse! Can it just be a problem with the forks from the gearshift? Of course the mechanic says it needs a new tranny! In my 50 years of driving stick, this is the 1st car I have EVER had tranny problems with. And I'm too old now to get under the car.
Old 29 May 2014, 02:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 05 Manual T, lost reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragmom View Post
I have a 2005 PT with manual transmission. At 58,000 miles I had to have the transmission replaced - gears were sticking, if I remember right. (mechanic said it's a sealed unit and they had to replace the whole unit). I am now at 73,000 and have just lost reverse! Can it just be a problem with the forks from the gearshift? Of course the mechanic says it needs a new tranny! In my 50 years of driving stick, this is the 1st car I have EVER had tranny problems with. And I'm too old now to get under the car.
check the bushings under the airbox on the top of the trans. mine were missing when i got my PT. shifted fine but wouldn't always go into reverse.

could be a cable problem too.

trans should be fine. i give mine hell and even though it has started grinding, it refuses to break. i mean to kill two you'd have to be the worlds worst driver.

your mechanic is nuts about the sealed unit. it's no more sealed than any other transmission. i took mine apart and i'm not a mechanic. see here: i killed it. -on the next page i put it back together.
CREWZIN likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 29 May 2014 at 02:53 pm.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:50 pm
Banned

Welcome drag mom- what kind of drag are you talking about?

Quote:
Old 29 May 2014, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info, those are things I can look into. (I can remember telling him a year before my gears were slipping and it wasn't until a year later they slipped enough for him to feel them - that's when I had to have the first transmission replaced as a "unit".)
Appreciate the help.
Old 29 May 2014, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Drag as in drag race - in my "youth". When I got my first new car after a bunch of clunkers I came hope with a 69 Mach 1 351 Cleveland engine. Used to take my oldest boy for rides when he got cranky. Later he built his own dragster in our back yard (no garage) and then wanted to build a alcohol dragster! But he was killed by a drunk driver before he could finish that one = he was only waiting for a part too. So that is the mom part of it.
Old 29 May 2014, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

While you are looking for things. Look for a mechanic. Because you don't have one! Cut bait and run from these guys. Cost you enough already.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 May 2014, 05:57 pm
Banned

Yeah I had a family member killed by a drunk driver too. It's the social drinkers that are killing people on the roads. I hate drunks and street racers

Quote:
Drag as in drag race - in my "youth". When I got my first new car after a bunch of clunkers I came hope with a 69 Mach 1 351 Cleveland engine. Used to take my oldest boy for rides when he got cranky. Later he built his own dragster in our back yard (no garage) and then wanted to build a alcohol dragster! But he was killed by a drunk driver before he could finish that one = he was only waiting for a part too. So that is the mom part of it.
Old 30 May 2014, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Like your red "after" car; but I'm partial to the purple. Here's mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New wheels.jpg (37.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PT tailights after.jpg (75.0 KB, 8 views)
thehoghunter and rob342 like this.
Old 30 May 2014, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Like your red "after" car; but I'm partial to the purple. Here's mine.
I like your purple PT too.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 May 2014, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hope you don't mind, I don't get to talk much about my son anymore. But I sent two pics of his dragster. #1 is building his first dragster motor in our yard (no garage) and the second is his alcohol dragster, of which he was so proud. Had a 500 ci motor, dyno'd in at 1500 horse, and that's a "ron's toilet" on top for fuel injection system. He had made it to the Bracket Nat'ls a couple of times even though he had to work many Saturdays, but he had it in him to make a good 6 second machine. Still miss him and am still so proud.

(The drunk got 2 years for his death saying he was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing! He had a .280 BAC which is almost 4 times the limit. Wish someone would have stopped him from getting in his car)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg building dragster.jpg (84.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg AlcoholDragster.jpg (42.0 KB, 2 views)

Tags
2005, reverse gear, tranny