PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How To Find Power Steering Fluid Leak Location?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2014, 11:14 am
Regular Cruiser

Default How To Find Power Steering Fluid Leak Location?

Hi all.

Looks like I have a (significant) power steering leak coming from somewhere, and I need help finding it.

The fluid is dripping down on the ground near the front of the engine on the passenger side. I think it is dripping on the ground right below the A/C compression pulley (and it is dripping ON TO the serpentine belt and the lower right motor mount thingey).

I looked at the hoses coming off the power steering fluid reservoir and they seem fine.

~~~~

1) Any EASY way to pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from? I only have a floor jack and a couple of stands.

2) Is it likely that this is going to be something like a gasket or other minor problem? Or am I looking at a whole new power steering motor?

3) Is there an immediate fire danger (or other type of danger to the car or myself) if I need to drive my car to work the next two days? (about 5 miles each direction)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by myjeephatesme; 30 May 2014 at 11:22 am.
Old 30 May 2014, 11:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: How To Find Power Steering Fluid Leak Location?

If it's coming from a hose, turning the wheel with the car running would make it shoot out.
If it's not a hose, than you might have a hole in the pump itself.
Old 30 May 2014, 12:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
"If it's coming from a hose, turning the wheel with the car running would make it shoot out."
Thanks for the suggestion:

I just left the car parked in place, turned on the engine, and turned the steering wheel from one all the way right to all the way left.

There was a big puddle that formed underneath it.

EDIT: Also, it looks like the back of the radiator got splashed with the power steering fluid, too.

Does that sound like it is a hose???

Is there an easy way to access those hoses? Will I have to remove the whole front of the car to get at them?

Last edited by myjeephatesme; 30 May 2014 at 12:26 pm.
Old 30 May 2014, 12:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Also, can I still drive it to work today (5 miles round trip) with the leak??? Or is that a really bad idea???
Old 30 May 2014, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Likely, but could also be steering rack.
Thing would be to drive up on ramps, leave engine running, have someone turn wheel a bit and you watch to see where oil emanates from.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 May 2014, 01:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

I don't have any ramps

Is there a way to easily unbolt the front plastic part (in front of the radiator) and look at it that way?
Old 30 May 2014, 03:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Sorry to bump this but...

what would be the best way to get a good view of the hoses / power steering pump if I don't have ramps?

(I have a floor jack and a couple of stands. Do I need to place the stands somewhere else than along the frame rails where the normal lift points are???)

will I be able to see most of it if I remove the front passenger wheel and the black plastic liners?

thanks again. I need to try and take care of this as soon as possible.
Old 30 May 2014, 05:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ok, I know I am getting desperate here, but would it make sense to try that Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak Fluid?

At least, would that help me diagnose whether it is the hose or the P/S motor or the Rack and Pinion?

~~~~~

and if anyone has a GOOD tutorial on how to replace the P/S hose without having to uncharge and recharge the A/C and drain the radiator, please, please provide a link to it.

Thanks again.
Old 30 May 2014, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you could try it i like the lucas products and if its a bad pump nothing lost anyway

if its a big leak it is most likely a hose or a conection you can unbolt the plastic guard but it still wont show you much
Old 30 May 2014, 05:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

if you rais the car put it on the stands take off the drivers wheel adn the inner fender liner you shoudl ahve a good view of the ps pump and hoses