Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New here and brake fluid loss question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2014, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New here and brake fluid loss question

Hello everyone I have used these forums for a while and have been greatly helped by them, but I could not find this anywhere and registered to see if someone could help. I was on my way home yesterday and noticed brakes felt soft and then brake light came on. I checked fluid and it was empty and car had just been serviced (oil change and fluids topped off) yesterday afternoon. I poured some more brake fluid in and saw it was coming out under car on passenger side. I checked the lines and all looked well. I found a rubber tube coming from firewall on passenger side that was the problem. However I can not find what it attaches to. It looks like it was cut maybe or just split open on the bottom. It is large at top where it was connected at firewall and smaller on end that was unattached pouring fuid. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My vehicle is a 2003 PT with about 140,000 miles. Never had any issues other than replacing the oil sending unit and brake pads a year ago. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Last edited by ojay; 31 May 2014 at 10:39 am. Reason: Car details
Old 31 May 2014, 10:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: New here and brake fluid loss question

can you post a picture so we can see what you're looking at?
Old 31 May 2014, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

This is the hose
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00029.jpg (95.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 31 May 2014, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

ojay, the tube you posted a picture of is the condensation tube for the air condition. It comes out of the firewall and bends straight down towards the ground behind the front passenger wheel. The only thing that comes out of that tube is water.

I don't know where your losing your brake fluid but the brake fluid reservoir is over by the drivers side and that's where you have to take a good look to see where maybe one of the brake lines has come loose. It should be a solid line from the reservoir to the passenger side brake and it it was loose or come apart it would drip/flow all over the brake caliper/passenger side wheel.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 May 2014, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for responding. I just had a friend leave and he had told me the same it is just a drain however we poured fluid in and pumped brakes and out it came. He suggested it could be somehow running from master cylinder behind firewall/dash and coming out there. I think I am just going to take it back to the dealer that serviced it yesterday and see if they can figure it out. This didn't start until after they changed oil and topped off fluids. Does the theory he suggested sound plausible? I have never seen anything like this before and am completely baffled. Thank you again for taking the time to read and respond. I do appreciate it.
Old 31 May 2014, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Anything is plausible. I don't know the exact routing of the brake lines but your probably doing the right thing since it didn't start till after they did some work, so let them fix it. Just be careful driving it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 May 2014, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojay View Post
Thank you for responding. I just had a friend leave and he had told me the same it is just a drain however we poured fluid in and pumped brakes and out it came. He suggested it could be somehow running from master cylinder behind firewall/dash and coming out there. I think I am just going to take it back to the dealer that serviced it yesterday and see if they can figure it out. This didn't start until after they changed oil and topped off fluids. Does the theory he suggested sound plausible? I have never seen anything like this before and am completely baffled. Thank you again for taking the time to read and respond. I do appreciate it.
What theory?
Usually, a wheel cylinder goes bad (seals go) but that's usually a slow leak.
Who worked on your car?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Jun 2014, 01:10 am
Young Cruiser

Yeah...I guess it is possible, but that would take a very weird set of coincidences to make that happen. The master cylinder absolutely can leak out the back of it. However, it doesn't actually connect to the firewall. It connects to brake booster canister. And then that canister is what has the rod which goes through the firewall and connects to your break pedal.

So that fluid would have to pass by the seal on the back side of the master cylinder plunger, collect in the push rod boot till it pushed out and down the push rod, past the mechanicals in the vacuum booster canister, run along the break pedal push rod, SOMEhow drip off at exactly the right place...probably due to a body grommet...to get caught in the condensation collection channel in the fire wall and then run over to the far side of the firewall and onto the ground. WOW!!!

THAT is a long string of events for a SIMPLE solution. Pull the master cylinder and rebuild or replace it...about a 4 hour job for me and 1 hour for a mechanic. LOL

Honestly brother, I'd guess that unless they just flat put the wrong fluid in it and it ate the seals, I'd say the reason it showed up is because it had been low long enough or run low enough times that it had eaten the seals in the master cylinder and when they noticed it was empty and put fluid in it...it showed up. I doubt they caused the problem.

Because of power brake boosters, brake problems with master cylinders are funny things. It is possible for brakes to keep working normally as long as there is fluid in the lines going to the wheels and the seals in the master cylinder are good enough to make pressure inside the cylinder. But those seals need the fluid for lubrication too and because problems caused by low fluid in the master cylinder causes the performance to degrade so slowly, we usually don't notice till it's REALLY bad.

One minute everything is fine and the next minute there's fluid on the ground and we are stomping the pedal to get er whoaaaaaaed down. ;~)

By the way, we bought our 06 new and it has ALWAYS had a problem with disappearing brake fluid. Especially when the breaks are nearing replacement time.

Oh, and sorry for being late to the party guys. Probably resolved, but he didn't say, so I responded. ;~)

Last edited by JDB; 03 Jun 2014 at 01:13 am.