PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering Leak Part II - Help Identify Hose Please

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2014, 11:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Exclamation UPDATED: Power Steering Leak Part II - Help Identify Hose Please

UPDATE: The area where it is leaking is actually right where the BOTTOM hose (that is metal at the ends) is connected to the BOTTOM of the P/S pump. It is NOT at the top of the pump as I originally thought.

I have a leaking power steering fluid and I just need help identifying the EXACT name of where it is leaking so I can buy a replacement part.

The leak is coming from THE BOTTOM OF the P/S pump. I am pretty sure it is right where the metal hose part connects to the BOTTOM of the P/S pump.

Assuming I have identified the correct place where it is leaking, which hose is it exactly?

And if you really want to help a brother out, would you know of an inexpensive third-party part (and have the part number)?

I went to O'Rilly and just inquired about power steering pressure hoses in general and they said that it is a special order part, but they didn't really seem so sure they were looking up the right part.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by myjeephatesme; 01 Jun 2014 at 11:42 am.
Old 01 Jun 2014, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering Leak Part II - Help Identify Hose Please

Found this in a search. There was no part numbers attached to the picture. It's the Power Steering Pump Pressure Hose that runs from the pump to the steerng rack.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Jun 2014, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There are actually 2 hoses that come from the Power Steering Pump. On my 2001 the Power Steering Pressure Hose (2) is part Number 4656 421AD. The Power Steering Hose (3) is part number 5272 867AA.

As I said: These part numbers are for my 2001, Left Hand Drive 2.4L 4 Cyl. DOHC

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 01 Jun 2014 at 07:31 am.
Old 01 Jun 2014, 09:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the diagram and the explanation.

The power steering pump is ABOVE the A/C compressor??? Did not realize that.

OK, assuming that it is JUST that hose that is leaking, how hard is it to replace it???

Google has not been my friend. I seem to have a hrad time finding any sort of insturctions that accurately deal with how to replace JUST that hose.

I have seen tutorials for removing the whole P/S pump and they seem very complex (involve moving / removing the A/C and the radiator).

Is it going to be as hard just to remove and replace that hose?

Should I remove the fender?!?!?!
Old 01 Jun 2014, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, can't answer your questions. When My Power Steering Pump went bad it was still under warranty so I didn't have to do anything.

Old 01 Jun 2014, 10:46 am
Regular Cruiser

Ok, thanks though. You have already been a big help.
Old 01 Jun 2014, 11:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Default UPDATE: This is the hose

UPDATE: The hose that is leaking appeears to be the one marked as item #2 in the diagram that crewzin supplied:

It appears to be leaking exactly where the metal nipple part screws / bolts into the bottom of the P/S pump.

1) How hard is this to change? It looks like it will be a PITA

2) My car has 90K miles on it. I was going to take it to the shop and have them replace the timing belt / water pump (they quoted me $800, which seems pretty cheap). Should I just have them do the hose at the same time?

They said that there was no additional labor charge to remove THE PUMP, but they said it would be $250 labor to replace THE HOSE?!?!?! Does that seem right?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01 Jun 2014, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: UPDATE: This is the hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
UPDATE: The hose that is leaking appeears to be the one marked as item #2 in the diagram that crewzin supplied:

It appears to be leaking exactly where the metal nipple part screws / bolts into the bottom of the P/S pump.

1) How hard is this to change? It looks like it will be a PITA

2) My car has 90K miles on it. I was going to take it to the shop and have them replace the timing belt / water pump (they quoted me $800, which seems pretty cheap). Should I just have them do the hose at the same time?

They said that there was no additional labor charge to remove THE PUMP, but they said it would be $250 labor to replace THE HOSE?!?!?! Does that seem right?

Thanks in advance.
No That is way to much labor for that if they are in there doing the belt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jun 2014, 02:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
No That is way to much labor for that if they are in there doing the belt.
that's what I thought.

They said that replacing the P/S pump wouldn't require additional labor because they would already be "working in the same area" when changing the timing belt, but that hose was "in a different area."
Old 01 Jun 2014, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
that's what I thought.

They said that replacing the P/S pump wouldn't require additional labor because they would already be "working in the same area" when changing the timing belt, but that hose was "in a different area."
Take that diagram to them and have them explain where all that labor is with that other end of that hose.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com