PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
WhatElseShould Be Changed When Timing Belt Is Changed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2014, 11:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default WhatElseShould Be Changed When Timing Belt Is Changed?

Hi all;

What else should be changed BY THE SHOP when I have my 2005 cruiser with 90K miles on it to the shop to have the timing belt changed?

I know the water pump should also be changed, but the guy at the shop said I should have the pullies changed along with crankshaft gaskets, camshaft gaskets, and about five other things.

Also, the MIDDLE engine mount PROBABLY needs to be replaced (I am in the process of replacing the top and bottom engine mounts myself because they are shot). Is that something best done by the shop?

He is going to be giving me a quote soon, but I thought I should figure out what would be best to have the shop do and what I should do myself.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02 Jun 2014, 12:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: WhatElseShould Be Changed When Timing Belt Is Changed?

i changed the timing belt, TB tensioner, waterpump, crank seal, and both accessory belts(since they come off anyways).
Old 02 Jun 2014, 12:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks, Rob:

Did you do everything yourself???
Old 02 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

pretty much. i had the pleasure of using a friends shop on a saturday. i did everything myself but line up the timing marks. he did that in about a minute because he is familiar with these engines. i didn't even try to do it, as he said "come get me when it's time to put the belt on".

total time was about 7 hours start to finish, including changing the oil, wipers, charging the AC, and bleeding the coolant.

Last edited by rob342; 02 Jun 2014 at 12:38 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2014, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thermostat, tensioner pulley, and other belts if you haven't done them.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jun 2014, 01:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks both of you.

I was thinking of having the P/s hose replace and the timing belt done at the same time since it is at 90K miles.

I know that I SHOULD have the timing belt done now, but I may have to hold off.

Since none of the garages I have called will give me a break on the labor charge if I get both done, I will probably just do P/S hose replacement now and do the other (timing belt-related) things later.