Gas Pedal Got Stuck on my 2009 PT Cruiser

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ray_Dockrey
  • 1 Post By myjeephatesme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2014, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gas Pedal Got Stuck on my 2009 PT Cruiser

Hello, so I'm new...I hope that this is the right place to post this and get some feedback. But I have a 2009 PT Cruiser and yesterday as my daughter was driving the car, she accelerated as she was trying to change lanes and the gas pedal was stuck to the floor and the car kept accelerating. She stepped on the break and the car started to fishtail and then she pulled up the emergency brake. Thankfully nothing happened and she is fine. We tried to start the car again and its revving really high and it goes through like two revs and then it dies. After the fourth or fifth time of trying to get the car to turn over (and it does the same thing) the car won't start anymore. Once the car rests for a couple of hours we can start it, it does the same thing again...does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by theawashington; 02 Jun 2014 at 01:12 pm. Reason: grammer
Old 02 Jun 2014, 01:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Gas Pedal Got Stuck on my 2009 PT Cruiser

I would check the throttle linkage to see if it is binding and check all the vacuum lines.
LionPT likes this.
Old 02 Jun 2014, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had this happen once to me in a Datsun 280 ZX. I went for a very wild ride until I thought to turn the key off.

Having the throttle stuck wide open might cause the starting problems. It may cause the engine to flood with fuel depending on how the injectors react. Fuel injected cars are usually designed to start without any throttle applied by the driver.

Check for a stuck throttle first. If you don't know what to look for, then you should likely let a mechanic do it. A worse case scenario is that you inadvertently unstick the throttle and then it sticks on your daughter again. It's usually a simple thing to fix but you need to be 100% sure you know what you are doing.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Jun 2014 at 01:26 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2014, 01:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

this happened to crewzin, the big vacuum line fell off the brake booster. this is "fairly" common.

this also happened to me. a piece of the airbox cracked off and became wedged in the throttle body.

1- check the LARGE vacuum lines,
2- remove the air filter tube and check the throttlebody to make sure it closes.

please come back and let us know what the problem ends up being.

Last edited by rob342; 02 Jun 2014 at 01:35 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2014, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you guys!! At least this gives me something to go on....if it is the throttle is that usually pretty pricey to fix?
Old 02 Jun 2014, 03:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

there's really nothing expensive it could be, besides paying a mechanic. if you go look this should be literally a 5 minute fix.

look at the big black brake booster on the driver side firewall, follow the rubber line and make sure it didn't fall off.

it that is ok, loosen the clamp to the 3" air tube with a flathead screwdriver and make sure the brass flap opens and closes when you step on the pedal.
Old 02 Jun 2014, 04:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

I should add my own stupid story here...

I work on my car a lot and I am not the most careful person around.

So I was having problems with a sticky accelerator.

I took off the air intake hose (the one that rob342 mentioned at the end of his post) and looked into the throttle body.

Jammed against the throttle body valve was half of one of those "bubble" packages for a headlight bulb. It had "somehow" got into the air intake past the air filter and wedged itself against the butterfly valve of the throttle body.

IMG_20140408_103219.jpg

Not surprisingly, once I removed that 3-inch-long piece of plastic from the throttle body, the car ran a lot smoother.

~~~

*In case you are wondering, I have a fairly good idea of how the plastic "bubble" packaging ended up in the air intake hose and throttle body throat. I am pretty sure I must have had the airbox open to do some work on the car because you have to open the airbox for pretty much anything you work on with a pt crusiser) and I changed a headlight bulb and somehow left half the wrapper on TOP of the air filter.

I guess I am pretty lucky that it didn't get sucked in PAST the throttle body.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.