• 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2014, 10:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down eating thermostats

Hello... 2001 cruiser 2.4

Lemme start with the basics:

Prestone flush ran through system, 6 hours per recommend. Drain, flush.. then

New radiator, uppr.lower hoses, temp sending unit at thermostat housing, new filler tube, and new overflow bottle (aftermarket ) mounted high so fluid always in the hose..new superstat from stant, stant cap

Temp was riding 3/4 mark before repair, would slowly push more and more fluid into bottle but never draw it back in at cool. After all the above, all works better, save for the poor little thermostat. They only last a couple of days before they stick open. Stant superstat survives the longest holding the record for 4 days before it stopped opening at warm up. Yes, its ddesigned to fail open, yet temp gets up to 216 with the fan on but upper hose is cold...not warm, cold. If, at that point, I drive the vehicle, it bursts open and temp goes back to norm and works fine all day. Same repeated drama every morning. Replaced with 3 subsequent thermostats and all 3 have stuck open, failsafe design or no. I currently am fed up and decided to reach out before thermostat 5. I have followed the procedures in the Haynes manual for bleeding air from the system, 50/50 mix green coolant.. thats all that has been in it since buy stock ill make ya rich lol. The air conditioning is reclaimed for the repair, was gonna recharge when temp stable but now I'm realizing that the low fan never kicks in ...is that only when ac charged? Yes, I tested the fan, jumped both wires from hot and both modes spin... High cycle kicks in at 212 faithfully. help... Ask me anything, suggest anything... Supposed to be moving outta state but......
Old 03 Jun 2014, 05:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: eating thermostats

Doesn't make sense. Could you be putting them in upside down? I've read that is possible to do.
You still have the "old" ones you replaced? Put them in a pot of water on the stove and see if they open - I'll bet they do.
Is it possible to get a bad new thermostat? Sure, but it's just about statistically impossible to get 4 bad ones in a row.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Jun 2014, 06:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just saw you have another, identical thread - why? Once is enough.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Jun 2014, 08:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Just saw you have another, identical thread - why? Once is enough.
He He wants wants to to be be sure sure to to get get an answer answer? So So one one thread thread is is not not enough enough!
randyincctx likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2014, 11:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: eating thermostats

I don't think it's the therostats,it got to be something else.....But,if everything the OP posted is correct(bleeding the system,etc),the only other thing that comes to mind is an issue with the heater core,but that wouldn't cause the thermostat to fail,the car would just over heat,or blow a hose,or head gasket.IDK