Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C problems after heater core replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2014, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question A/C problems after heater core replacement

I recently had my heater core replace because it "blew up". Smoke coming through the vents and under the hood; sprayed my legs with fluid.

Here's my story: I took it to a shop that I believe is reputable and they replaced the heater core as well as a transmission fluid and oil change. When I got it back, the air didn't work (seemed to be fine before the incident but it hadn't been really hot to test it out. Worked fine last year.), light bulbs were out on the dash and the fan control area on the center bezel.

Took it back in to get the air checked out and have the bulbs replaced. They evacuated the air and recharged it and replaced the bulbs on the dash. The center bezel doesn't have bulbs they told me so I have to live with it or replace the climate control area. I got it back and the air still didn't work and more bulbs were out on the dash and now the air recirculation doesn't work. Would have to replace the climate control area.

Took it back again and they did not find a leak but they don't know why the air doesn't work. (They replaced the rest of the dash bulbs for free) Any ideas on what happened and what could be going on? I asked them to check the pressure valves and if anything could be on the evaporator coils from the blow up causing the issue. I'm still waiting for them to find something.

Also any thoughts on the air recirculation issue are greatly appreciated.

01 PT Cruiser 2.4L Limited edition
Old 03 Jun 2014, 03:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: A/C problems after heater core replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserlover7 View Post
Any ideas on what happened and what could be going on?
Did they check the A/C fuse & A/C relay?(under hood in PDC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserlover7 View Post
Also any thoughts on the air recirculation issue are greatly appreciated.
When the heater core was replaced,the small vacuum line for the fresh/recirculation control either wasn't re-attached or got broken when they re-assembled everything.

Last edited by randyincctx; 03 Jun 2014 at 03:18 pm.
Old 03 Jun 2014, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/C problems after heater core replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Did they check the A/C fuse & A/C relay?(under hood in PDC)

When the heater core was replaced,the small vacuum line for the fresh/recirculation control either wasn't re-attached or got broken when they re-assembled everything.
Thanks for your response.
1st - no, they didn't check the fuses or relays. I will ask them to do this if their repairs (see below) do not work. 2nd - can you buy the vacuum line separately from the whole assembly and put it in yourself? I have a maintenance manual and I think I may be able to put it in myself.

They did call and tell me both my fans need replaced based on the codes they fill got and from testing, and the expansion valve is bad. After they replace those, they will hope the compressor will work and will not have been damaged from those issues.

Tags
a/c, heater core