PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gutting A Cat Converter?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2014, 04:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Gutting A Cat Converter?

Hey guys, I did a little searchin' and found where this was discussed a while back, but I still have questions.

Has anyone here actually done or personally know anyone who has gutted the catalytic converter on their PT Cruiser and run it for an extended period of time like that. And if you have, did it throw a steady string of codes to remind you you're a criminal? ;~)

Just wondering. I've removed the cat on several vehicles over the years, including my V 6, XLT Ranger, with absolutely no side effects. As a matter of fact, I did it when I was replacing the clutch on the Ranger and the fuel economy went back up to better than it was when it was brand spankin' new. LOL

I just don't have any experience with cars that are as heavily dependent on the CCM as the Cruiser and am a little worried that if I do decide to do it...I'm gonna end up spending a bunch more time and knuckle skin to put the new replacement converter I ordered on it anyway cause it screwed up the puter.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by JDB; 03 Jun 2014 at 04:17 pm.
Old 03 Jun 2014, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gutting A Cat Converter?

MY thoughts .............
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB View Post
Hey guys, I did a little searchin' and found where this was discussed a while back, but I still have questions.

Has anyone here actually done or personally know anyone who has gutted the catalytic converter on their PT Cruiser and run it for an extended period of time like that. And if you have, did it throw a steady string of codes to remind you you're a criminal? ;~)

You will get DTCs

Just wondering. I've removed the cat on several vehicles over the years, including my V 6, XLT Ranger, with absolutely no side effects. As a matter of fact, I did it when I was replacing the clutch on the Ranger and the fuel economy went back up to better than it was when it was brand spankin' new. LOL

There is a side effect you....you polluted the air for very negligible if any gains. Unless you do a PCM calibration for its absences then you may initiate problems in the engines performance output?

I just don't have any experience with cars that are as heavily dependent on the CCM as the Cruiser and am a little worried that if I do decide to do it...I'm gonna end up spending a bunch more time and knuckle skin to put the new replacement converter I ordered on it cause it screwed up the puter.

Any thoughts?

Unless you intend to 1/4 the PT where you will be operating at WOT for several seconds or planning on developing engine output in excess of 300whp there is no argument to doing a gut-out of a stock CAT.

Without a CAT on a 2.5 exhaust Turbo PT @ 6500rpm it is a 2hp gain. And even that could be argued away delta's not being the same between runs?

If you are hell bent to break federal law then I would get a 3 inch CAT less downpipe and save your stock downpipe with CAT if you need to change it back for any reason. Also you will need to get a DSP,DST or DSI from DiabloSport to calibrate the ECU for a CATless system.
Even on the cars you mention removing the CAT or running a test tube you were probably losing efficiency unless you chipped them. And the louder exhaust sound you get and got from the CAT removed does not equate to horsepower. Most just spin the engine faster and think they are making more power.
And the reason your XLT increased MPG is because the CAT was probably partially plugged. CAT produce a lot of heat, exhaust heat keeps the exhaust velocity up which would benefit engines helping to improve MPG.

and thats my thought about this!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Jun 2014 at 04:35 pm.
Old 03 Jun 2014, 04:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

an older ford (pre 95) is different. my 92 ford has 1 o2 in front of each cat, with no downstream o2. removing the cats does not even turn on the check engine light and the computer will still run in closed loop mode. trying this on a PT will throw a code for sure because of the downstream o2. you can do the "non fouler" trick and maybe fool the computer, but it still might not run right since it's tuning based on a sensor with a manipulated reading. if it isn't plugged, i'd leave it alone.
Old 03 Jun 2014, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
MY thoughts .............

Unless you intend to 1/4 the PT where you will be operating at WOT for several seconds or planning on developing engine output in excess of 300whp there is no argument to doing a gut-out of a stock CAT.

Without a CAT on a 2.5 exhaust Turbo PT @ 6500rpm it is a 2hp gain. And even that could be argued away delta's not being the same between runs?

If you are hell bent to break federal law then I would get a 3 inch CAT less downpipe and save your stock downpipe with CAT if you need to change it back for any reason. Also you will need to get a DSP,DST or DSI from DiabloSport to calibrate the ECU for a CATless system.
Even on the cars you mention removing the CAT or running a test tube you were probably losing efficiency unless you chipped them. And the louder exhaust sound you get and got from the CAT removed does not equate to horsepower. Most just spin the engine faster and think they are making more power.
And the reason your XLT increased MPG is because the CAT was probably partially plugged. CAT produce a lot of heat, exhaust heat keeps the exhaust velocity up which would benefit engines helping to improve MPG.

and thats my thought about this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
an older ford (pre 95) is different. my 92 ford has 1 o2 in front of each cat, with no downstream o2. removing the cats does not even turn on the check engine light and the computer will still run in closed loop mode. trying this on a PT will throw a code for sure because of the downstream o2. you can do the "non fouler" trick and maybe fool the computer, but it still might not run right since it's tuning based on a sensor with a manipulated reading. if it isn't plugged, i'd leave it alone.
I agree with these guys.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Jun 2014, 06:22 pm
Banned

I gutted mine, just needed a non spark fouler

No big deal

I don't care about pollution

I figure all the greenies and environmental wackos riding bikes and their hybrids are compensating from the pollution I am creating
Old 03 Jun 2014, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I gutted mine, just needed a non spark fouler

No big deal

I don't care about pollution

I figure all the greenies and environmental wackos riding bikes and their hybrids are compensating from the pollution I am creating
At the mileage you register a year. Most can fart more pollutants than that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Jun 2014, 06:44 pm
Banned

That too! Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Old 03 Jun 2014, 07:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post

Farts release Methane which is a known contributor of climate change and global warming.

Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Jun 2014 at 07:34 am.
Old 03 Jun 2014, 08:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I do a lot of that too.

I put on tighty whiteys in the morning and take them off with stripes
TMI!! TMI!!! Two words (Toilet Paper)
Busa_Powered likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Jun 2014, 10:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Then cat sounds funny; kinda hollow.
Cat also acts like a resonator, exhaust gets raspy.