PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intermittent Shaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2014, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Intermittent Shaking

Hello,
I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser Limited non turbo 2.4l and in the past week or so I have experienced some wierd shuttering and shaking. It happens when its warm and right after i start it. It shakes pretty violently and has almost no power when in gear but it only lasts for a few seconds then it stops and everything works perfectly after that. It also doesn't happen all the time. Its only happened twice in the last week. I dont think its a vacuum leak because it doesn't happen all the time. I'm wondering if its a fuel pressure issue. What do you think?
Old 03 Jun 2014, 10:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Intermittent Shaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler95 View Post
Hello,
I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser Limited non turbo 2.4l and in the past week or so I have experienced some wierd shuttering and shaking. It happens when its warm and right after i start it. It shakes pretty violently and has almost no power when in gear but it only lasts for a few seconds then it stops and everything works perfectly after that. It also doesn't happen all the time. Its only happened twice in the last week. I dont think its a vacuum leak because it doesn't happen all the time. I'm wondering if its a fuel pressure issue. What do you think?
does the check engine light come on? mine did something similar when the coil was starting to go bad. they usually fail when the motor is hot. does it feel like its only running on 2 cylinders when it does it? real rough idle, exhaust sounds like duh-duh-duh-duh-duh? -not saying to go buy a coil, just asking

when my fuel pump went the car would die. you can check the pressure with the valve on the end of the fuel rail. should be around 58psi (+ or - 5psi is OK) they rent testers at the parts store for free
Old 03 Jun 2014, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have no check engine light or codes. I was thinking about getting a tester in the next couple of days to check the pressure. As far as the coil goes i wouldn't know how to test it since its an intermittent problem. Thats the bitch of it.
Old 04 Jun 2014, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Rob - sounds like an ignition problem. When did you last do plugs & wires? Might also be some less than perfect gas - a can of Lucas injection cleaner can't hurt.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Jun 2014, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, i changed the plugs about a year ago, ive only put on about 8K since then because i only really commute like 2 miles a day. I went ahead and checked the number 1 plug and wire since that is the only one I can get to without pulling off the intake manifold. Wire looks good, clean no corrosion, and the plug looks good, no build up and properly gapped. How would i go about diagnosing a bad ignition coil, im a college student so i dont want to shell out for an expensive part like that and have it not be the problem. I appreciate the help guys!

Last edited by keebler95; 04 Jun 2014 at 08:56 am.
Old 04 Jun 2014, 09:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
As far as the coil goes i wouldn't know how to test it since its an intermittent problem.
Quote:
How would i go about diagnosing a bad ignition coil, im a college student so i dont want to shell out for an expensive part like that and have it not be the problem. I appreciate the help guys!
honestly, i'd just wait until it got worse. it kinda sucks but that's the easiest way i've found to find an intermittent problem. if it's the coil acting up it'll probably fail soon. it's 2 coils in one, so it will be running on 2 cylinders. i was able to limp home with mine.

test procedure. personally i'd be afraid to trust my results doing this since my multimeter tends to jump all over when i'm checking ohms unless it's touching the terminals just right. i'd end up testing it 15x because i'd think it was bad and it'd be fine. then i'd wonder if i did it right.

>>>
Unplug the electrical connector on the ignition coil pack. Connect the ohmmeter to the middle pin on the connector socket and the pin for the cylinder you're testing. The left pin is for Cylinders 1 and 3, the right for 1 and 4.

Measure the primary resistance of the coil. It should be 0.45 to 0.65 ohms if the coil has steel towers and 0.53 to 0.65 ohms if it has brass towers.

Disconnect the spark plug wires from the coil's secondary towers. Measure the secondary resistance between towers 1 and 4 and then between towers 2 and 3. It should be 11,500 to 13,500 ohms for steel towers and 10,900 to 14,700 ohms for brass ones.

<<<

you might check the connector on the coil, make sure it's clean and that the female terminals aren't spread open
Old 04 Jun 2014, 11:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok ill do that. I'm assuming if it gets bad enough to where the cylinder is missing consistently it will throw a code at me. Thanks!
Old 04 Jun 2014, 11:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Intermittent Shaking

If it is a bad spark plug,then the shaking is a miss,so one cylinder does not fire,if you can isolate it by figuring out which cylinder,then replace the spark plug(or spark plug wire)
You can isolate it by pulling one plug wire off and starting the car,the car shouldn't run with two plugs not firing,so when you get to the one that is missing you can tell,because it shakes like it's been doing,replace that plug(or wire) and see if that helps.
The fact that the car runs fine after a warm up is good news,that tells me the rest of the engine is fine,probably something simple like a 2 dollar spark plug,or possibly a bad or broken plug wire,either one can cause a miss at start up,and once things warm up it smoothes out and runs like normal.
I'm also curious though....Does it seem to make a difference if the A/C is on,or off at start up?

Tags
shaking, shuttering