Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 2.4 litter won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2014, 08:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 2.4 litter won't start

All of a sudden it just died and wouldn't start. We put new a head gasket, timing belt, crankshaft positioning sensor and camshaft positioning sensor. It has spark and fuel pressure. And absolutely nothing happens with starting fluid. Any ideas?

2002 2.4 lt PT Cruiser won't start - YouTube

here is a YouTube video of what it is doing. it just cranks over but doesn't try to start.

any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05 Jun 2014, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 2.4 litter won't start

This incident will have about 3-7 DTCs (engine code). It would be helpful to review them. Sure spins easy? I can tell you are accustomed to starting cars that have carburetors. LOL The PT is EFI you do not need to throttle during start.

I see this is your first post generally it is more polite to do an introduction before jumping in with a problem? We are all just people like yourself. We are here to help but like to think a new member might stick around instead of just using us for help and information right off.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Jun 2014, 10:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

What about the Starter..??
Old 05 Jun 2014, 10:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
This incident will have about 3-7 DTCs (engine code). It would be helpful to review them. Sure spins easy? I can tell you are accustomed to starting cars that have carburetors. LOL The PT is EFI you do not need to throttle during start.

I see this is your first post generally it is more polite to do an introduction before jumping in with a problem? We are all just people like yourself. We are here to help but like to think a new member might stick around instead of just using us for help and information right off.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
minino614-Please post info about yourself in the "new members" section! Welcome to the forum!

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 05 Jun 2014, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

I know your not supposed to pump the gas, but it sounds like it more closer to firing. As far as the personals, i live in Omaha Ne, my whole life. I also always return a favor if I can.
Old 05 Jun 2014, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by minino614 View Post
I know your not supposed to pump the gas, but it sounds like it more closer to firing. As far as the personals, i live in Omaha Ne, my whole life. I also always return a favor if I can.

I suggest to get a scanner and see what engine code have come up. A no start like the one in your video will always have them unless the PCM failed.
You may attempt the key dance that some member like to use but I think it may not work as well or display all the DTCs considering how many codes will be active fault under your no start problem.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Jun 2014, 01:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 2002 2.4 litter won't start

It also helps to give some insight into somethings,if we are graced with knowing mileage,recent work performed,etc.....The more we know the better equipped we are to offer help.....j/s
Old 06 Jun 2014, 11:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

It sure sounds like its turning over easy , strange sound
Old 06 Jun 2014, 12:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
It sure sounds like its turning over easy , strange sound
to me it sounds like it's turning over way too fast, which indicates a timing belt failure. remove the camshaft sensor and see if it's moving underneath it.
Old 06 Jun 2014, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
to me it sounds like it's turning over way too fast, which indicates a timing belt failure. remove the camshaft sensor and see if it's moving underneath it.
They replaced the timing belt.

I suspect the belt is on wrong - cams - timing marks - weren't lined up properly.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles