Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery cable connection help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2014, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery cable connection help

Hello, I have an 06 pt cruiser touring with an automatic trans, and a major problem concerning battery connections. I have a battery wiring harness that contains an additional red wire coming off the negative terminal that i have no idea what to connect it to! I came into the repair after someone else had removed the cables and now I am lost. So... positive terminal is normal, 2 red wires, 1 to the starter the other to the pdc. The negative terminal however has 2 black, 1 going to the body the other connects at the transaxle where the trans dip stick assembly is bolted. the red one!!?? tried looking around to see where it could go, no luck. Car won't start but all lights and other electrical functions seem to work, battery drains quickly though. had battery tested, and its fine too. please help thanks
Old 06 Jun 2014, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery cable connection help

No way should a red wire come off negative terminal unless someone did some really stupid wiring on their own. Red always denotes positive.
Give more information - was battery replaced?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Jun 2014, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You sure about that? Ever heard of reversing the polarity on a battery?
So if you were to have reversed the batteries polarity and continued to use the original connection then you would in fact have a RED wire on the negative lead.

Not recommended to try or that it applies to this thread.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Jun 2014, 03:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Cat, my 06 only has 2 wires coming off the negative. One connects to the body next to the battery box and the other goes off under the box to...somewhere.

My guess, that red wire is NOT suppose to be hooked to anything. So try it without it hooked up to anything and if everything works...don't worry about it.
Old 06 Jun 2014, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: Battery cable connection help

I'm telling you it's the most frustration I've experienced since before my puppy was potty trained. I'll take a photo. the car was bought last year for a ridiculously good price and it ran fine... the battery is not new. the cables were removed to gain accesss to a different component. this model has no positive jump terminal only shows a negative jump bolt. I looked at my 05 mustang to compare cuz i was shocked to see a red connector on it's battery negative post. the mustang also has a red cable on the negative terminal the 3rd cable on it goes to the starter. that's neither here nor there but it does happen obviously on some vehicles, this "3rd" cable
Old 06 Jun 2014, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

also, i have tried connecting that thing to anything I could find lol, I am not counting out the possibility of the previous owner trying to use the incorrect cable, that's likely, the car was certainly the dirtiest little thing I've ever seen. but why won't it start?? I could cry
Old 06 Jun 2014, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok scratch the part about my mustang having the red on negative terminal,I was mistaken. but i really would love to use a different negative cable for Petie (that's the cruiser's name) I am gonna just do it and stop whining about it, I've tried everything else!
Old 06 Jun 2014, 06:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

After market remote start?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh