PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
You have GOT to be kidding?

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2014, 03:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Default You have GOT to be kidding?

Got a question guys. I just got my wife's 06 in the garage, setting up on ramps and rolled under her to change the trans oil and filter...since I just use Seafoam trans conditioner on it, I though it might be a good idea.

At any rate, in yet one more demonstration of their infinite ineptitude at engineering prowess....Chrysler didn't put a freakin' drain plug on the transmission oil pan. Hence the name of this thread. Cause that is EXACTLY what I said when I rolled under it.

Although, I will admit there may have been a 4 letter expletive in between the words be and kidding. ;~)

And no, I didn't know it. It's the wife's car and she has always been responsible for scheduled maintenance. I only get called into duty when she BREAKS one of her cars. LOL

My question is, if I'd know that, I'd have done it outside in case of oil mess, but it's IN now. So, does anyone have any tips or hints for getting the oil out and into my small oil drain jug and not onto my new concrete garage floor?

Are there any of the bolts I can take out first that will let the oil drain down to just what's in the pan before I break the seal or am I screwed?

Any tips would be appreciated guys.

And by the way, taking it to be flushed is NOT an option at this moment. The closest place is 40 miles away and a few days down the line to schedule. I NEED to get that old filter and at least some of that Seafoam out of it now to make sure the transmission doesn't get hurt before it's flushed.

So that's why I'm going at this.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06 Jun 2014, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: You have GOT to be kidding?

I first crawled underneath a car in 1973 when I was eight years old. (Been under log trucks since age two.) And to date, I've never seen an automatic transmission pan on a car that came from the factory with a drain plug on it. I know a few have them, but they are fairly rare.

Both Autozone and Walmart have the big 24-inch plastic drain pans for a low price. That's what you need along with a new pan gasket. Might as well change the filter while you are at it.

I use my big wide drain pan to change engine oil too. It allows me to position it where it catches oil from the drain plug and oil filter at the same time. No fuss, no muss, no mess. And the spout makes it easy to fill a used milk jug with the effluent. Use that in a home made heater or as fuel for your moonshine still.

Here is one like mine, but mine is yellow. The price is $8.99 at OReilly's.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0026&ppt=C0166

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Jun 2014 at 04:00 pm.
Old 06 Jun 2014, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry to tell you that it is not uncommon for hundreds of different auto maker models not to have a automatic pan drain plug dating all the way to the 50's.

While you have the pan off you may want to invest in a universal drain plug kit for the next time.

Doorman/HELP ,MRG Mr Gasket,B&M, TRANSGO to name a few all have these available. Virtually every auto parts store worth anything will have a kit in stock.
They range in price from 6-30 bucks.

As a rule when I service someone transmission it is included in the parts and labor to install one so I keep them on hand all the time.

My method of draining a trans pan without a drain plug....I dipple punch the location where the drain plug will be installed. I place a plastic bag over the drill and zip tie it close to the shank of the drill. With pan in place I drill a 3/8 hole quickly pushing the drill through the pan and pulling out quickly before the oil runs all over my bagged drill. The oil will neatly drain in a normal oil pan. It does take a little longer to drain but if you are careful there is little to no drainage outside the drain pan or container. The estimated drian time using this method is about 5 minutes. Well worth the time savings in a clean up of what normally ends up a disastrous mess of ATF everywhere. Once the pan is down to a drip off it comes. At that point the cleaning and installation of the universal drain plug it just a few minutes work.
rob342 and LionPT like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Jun 2014, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One thing I should mention...draining the pan only replaces the oil in the pan not the complete transmission like the torque converter,pump,lines,cooler and many cavities,servo's valve body passages etc. So any fluid you put into the transmission 60% or more will remain until the system is completely flushed.
randyincctx likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Jun 2014, 03:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

this is why after i welded 4 stock trans pans together for extra capacity, i also added a drain plug. see pic:

Old 06 Jun 2014, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Jun 2014, 04:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I first crawled underneath a car in 1973 when I was eight years old. (Been under log trucks since age two.) And to date, I've never seen an automatic transmission pan on a car that came from the factory with a drain plug on it. I know a few have them, but they are fairly rare.
LOL...well, by 1973 I had already built a half dozen muscle cars Handy. So you must be a pup. LOL

Oh, and in 1973, I was driving a 1972 Duster with a 318 making over 300 HP, a 727 trans with all B&M internals and the rear end out if a 440 Magnum Super Bee...all of which I started doing about 3 weeks after I bought the car in 72. DAMN the warranty...I need speed! LOL

BUT your right brother...most don't have plugs. It just looks like in all the years that they've been building auto transmissions they'd have gotten it RIGHT by now. ;~)

Oh, and by the way, Walmart and Autozone 40 miles away TOO! ;~)

I just thought that by now they would have at least had the common sense to put one of the bolts so that it would drain most of the oil. But given your response...I'm betting they haven't. Grrrrr!

Oh well, I was just thinking about it while waiting for a response and I THINK I can take some cardboard and make a wide catch that will funnel the oil down into the 12" opening in my oil drain pan.

Wish me luck. The wife won't care if that oil got on the floor because of her car...I'll just be the SOB that stained the floor! LOL

-------------------------------------

Nitro,

Yep. I called the local parts store and they don't have one in stock. SO...I'm left with the mess. Grrrr.

I've been adding them to my hotrods for years. Just not to stock cars. Heck, most of them never stay around long enough for the transmission oil to need changing anyway. ;~)

And yep, I know I won't be getting all the oil. I just want to change what I can and the filter as a safety measure till I can get it into town to get it flushed.

---------------------------------------------

Rob.

DANG...that thing would drag the ground under my wife's Cruiser. How the heck would you not knock a hole in it? Or have ya already? ;~)

OH...and thanks guys. Told me what I needed to know!

Last edited by JDB; 06 Jun 2014 at 04:26 pm.
Old 06 Jun 2014, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

couple things a 300 hp 318 DUSTER in 72....??
You sure you didn't mean a 340?

You can make your own drain plug from brass fitting and nylon washers that most ACE hardware, LOWS or HOME Depot have.

Robs photoshopped trans pan has an actual origin and it will clear even a 2 inch dropped PT Cruiser.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Jun 2014, 04:40 pm
Banned

Dang you must be old then.

Do you have wifi in the nursing home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB View Post
LOL...well, by 1973 I had already built a half dozen muscle cars Handy. So you must be a pup. LOL

Oh, and in 1973, I was driving a 1972 Duster with a 318 making over 300 HP, a 727 trans with all B&M internals and the rear end out if a 440 Magnum Super Bee...all of which I started doing about 3 weeks after I bought the car in 72. DAMN the warranty...I need speed! LOL

BUT your right brother...most don't have plugs. It just looks like in all the years that they've been building auto transmissions they'd have gotten it RIGHT by now. ;~)

Oh, and by the way, Walmart and Autozone 40 miles away TOO! ;~)

I just thought that by now they would have at least had the common sense to put one of the bolts so that it would drain most of the oil. But given your response...I'm betting they haven't. Grrrrr!

Oh well, I was just thinking about it while waiting for a response and I THINK I can take some cardboard and make a wide catch that will funnel the oil down into the 12" opening in my oil drain pan.

Wish me luck. The wife won't care if that oil got on the floor because of her car...I'll just be the SOB that stained the floor! LOL

-------------------------------------

Nitro,

Yep. I called the local parts store and they don't have one in stock. SO...I'm left with the mess. Grrrr.

I've been adding them to my hotrods for years. Just not to stock cars. Heck, most of them never stay around long enough for the transmission oil to need changing anyway. ;~)

And yep, I know I won't be getting all the oil. I just want to change what I can and the filter as a safety measure till I can get it into town to get it flushed.

---------------------------------------------

Rob.

DANG...that thing would drag the ground under my wife's Cruiser. How the heck would you not knock a hole in it? Or have ya already? ;~)

OH...and thanks guys. Told me what I needed to know!
Old 06 Jun 2014, 05:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

JDB , just put a drain pan under it and drain it , you don't try and drain your motor oil into a jug do you