2006 PT Cruiser Fuel Pump Relay

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2014, 07:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT Cruiser Fuel Pump Relay

Hi Members and Pros,

Trying to check my girlfriend's spark plugs on her 2006 PT Cruiser, 4-cylinder, 2.0 Liter, non-turbo and one of the first steps I'm told by the Haynes Manual before removing the upper intake manifold to get to the plugs is to relieve the pressure in the fuel system by disconnecting the fuel pump relay and running the engine until it stalls. However, everything I've read online and in the manuals state the relay is in the fuse box (integrated power module; or IPM) and none of the photos/layout match mine. I read some of the members here had the same problem when trying to figure out the fan relays. The relays in 2006's model I guess were not located right behind the air filter like instructed with Haynes (and yes it is the correct manual for 2001-2010).
So does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is located for these odd 2006 models and do I really need to be worried about relieving the fuel pressure in the system simply to remove the upper intake manifold and spark plugs? I've never relieved the pressure on my 2000 eclipse to remove the spark plugs.

P.S. She has never changed the spark plugs (to her knowledge) and she was experiencing pinging/very rough idling (like a 2-stroke engine) as well as stalling. So I wanted to check the plugs but after all the reading on fuel pumps I'm beginning to think it could be a fuel pump or pump relay problem ultimately.
Old 09 Jun 2014, 10:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Fuel Pump Relay

you do not need to relieve the pressure or touch the fuel line. i recommend staying far away from the plastic hardline. people break them accidentally all the time. seriously, don't even touch it (: just pop the upper intake off and leave the fuel line and lower intake alone.
boonie2 likes this.
Old 09 Jun 2014, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Fuel Pump Relay

Thanks, I finally got the manifold off but did accidentally break some of the hard plastic line feeding the evap purge hose on top of the throttle body. It was simply dry and brittle.

It looks like one of the spark plugs blew out of the cylinder (maybe only 2 threads deep from the wear marks) and that's what made it sound like 2-cycle lawnmower. Now, all I have to do is remind her to complete the other recommended maintenance.

Thanks again!

Tags
06 pt cruiser fuel relay, 2006 pt cruiser relay