Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where is the blockage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2014, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Where is the blockage?

2005 PT Cruiser Turbo Convertible, 100k miles.

Replaced the radiator in November of 2012. Just took the car in and got new tires, brakes, had the transmission fluid flushed and replaced, oil change etc. Had the car for a few days and it overheated. Turned the heat on full blast and drove to the shop. Coolant all over the engine and gurgling sound. No heat coming from the heater.

Shop worked on it the next day and checked the engine block, replaced the thermostat, (failsafe thermo) new coolant (supposedly HOAT compatible) blew out some debris in the lines and I drove it home.

Drove it the next day around town and it was fine for a few hours and then it overheated & gurgled when I turned it off and back on. Took it back to the shop.

They have now had it for the last 5 days. Checked the fan, both speeds puts out heat, the water pump which was replaced a few years back. They replaced some metal 'Y' shaped connector that linked some type of hoses. You can see I have the lingo down pat for repairs. I have been reading the forum frantically looking for an answer. They suspect there is a blockage somewhere.

They have done the chemical test on the block and it's okay. The guess is that if they crack open the radiator, they'll find that the wrong coolant was used when it was replaced and that the debris from the corroding radiator has migrated to the engine. They want to replace the radiator & cap, take the block apart, send it to a shop for to be retooled (?).

Any wisdom from the forum would be appreciated. This is about to cost me $2k on top of the $1,700 I've already spent in the last 2 weeks.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 08:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Where is the blockage?

it sounds like there's air in the system. have them do a pressure test to see if there's any leaks. pretty sure there's no blockage. quite possibly the first thing they should have done.

and i've heard the failsafe thermos are crap.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 08:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

I know you checked the cooling fan BUT, As the brushes start to go the fan becomes more unreliable.. My 03 did the same thing, but I caught it before spilling any liquid. Installed a new fan and it was good for several weeks and started overheating again but I could drive it on the open road with out overheating (above 35mph). The connector had over heated and although it checked out good with a meter, it would lose the ground now and again and the temp would go up while in traffic or at a light ideling.
New Cooling Fan Maybe $75 self installed
New Radiator self installed $110.

You got to check to see if the fan is running when its over heating and before it blows fluid everywhere or else you may loose the head gasket.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 11 Jun 2014, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The shop did the pressure test first. Also they claim there is no air in the system.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will have them double check the fan. When they test drive the car it does okay until they take it on the highway and then it overheats.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 08:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Then its definitely a circulation problem or the head gasket is leaking pushing pressure into the cooling system causing it to blow the fluid out.

Remove radiator fill cap, warm up the engine, DON"T GET SCALDED then hold RPM up and you will probably see bubbles. In PA I saw a mechanic use the exhaust analyzer on an emission machine to check CO2 in the bubbling overflow tank.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 11 Jun 2014, 09:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have them remove the thermostat and let you drive it - if it still overheats, then either you have a blockage or bad water pump.
Taking the thermostat out will not hurt anything - it would mean no heat in winter, but that's no issue now.
Have you had a cooling system flush?
Hard to believe you had radiator replaced less than 2 years ago.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Jun 2014, 06:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

My car did exactly what you describe and all I needed was a new radiator cap. I'd really recommend finding a better mechanic.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 07:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just went to the shop and met with the mechanic. I went over everything the forums posters suggested in response to my post. All of these items have been tried.

He's kept all the replaced parts and everything that has been removed from blowing out the lines. There is a very apparent brown crust inside the overflow container, and small pieces of the same yellow brown crusty debris has come out of all the lines that work with the cooling system. The rad cap was replaced.

All the mechanics at the shop mentioned that when I brought in the overheated cruiser, they would have bet money that I had blown the engine. They never saw anything as hot as that engine.

He's going to take everything apart again today and order the new radiator and the shop is waiting to receive the block to work on it. Every hose is going to be replaced. I think that excess heat from living in Florida and the turbo in that confined space has been a problem for a long time. I don't get more than 2 years on a battery & one battery simply cracked in half. Too much heat.

Thanks to the forum posters for all your help
Old 12 Jun 2014, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the engine had been as hot as they say. Then you would have most likely destroyed the head. Warped to the point of cam rock on the exhaust cam. I see no report of this in here.

Far as the battery goes. Get you a battery blanket. They came with these from the factory. May help.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
blockage, coolant, radiator