Advertisements
Headlights, Taillights and Door Locks not working

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2014, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Headlights, Taillights and Door Locks not working

New to site and it's great...

Anyway, this sounds like a common problem so I hope I can get some help. Last night I parked my 2003 Cruiser in Limited Touring Edition, no turbo in the driveway. When I went out to go to work at 5 am, I had no lights and the door locks didn't work. I hear the clicking noise coming from behind the window switch cluster. On a whim, I changed the Multifunction Switch out with one from a wrecker and I still have the same problem. I check all of the fuses and they look to be good.

Seeing some of the threads on this site, does anyone have an idea what could be the cause? If it's a wiring harness or a burnt wire, where do I go to trouble shoot? Chrysler so be ashamed not to take ownership of this problem. $$$$ rules..
Old 15 Jun 2014, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Headlights, Taillights and Door Locks not working

There's a number of owners who had similar problems so here's a couple of them to read...

Cluster lights out + interior accessory lights out & tail lights out - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

my door locks,head lights and tail lights don't work.

No Headlights, dash lights or door locks...

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 06:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I'll check it out today when I get home from work.. Purchased a new MFS to change out the junk yard switch. I will keep the other 2 switches as spares just in case.. With so many people having this problem, there should be a recall but who am I to say.. I'll keep you posted on the final outcome.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Recalls are only for safety related items and although there have been cases where smoke was seen from the MFS right before it went bad, there haven't been any that actually caught fire. I've had a new MFS switch sitting in the closet for 5 or 6 years now waiting for mine to go bad. I guess that's the secret, have one around for spare and the original keeps on working.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, I agree lol
Old 24 Jun 2014, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Took another look at the car last night. I do not have power to the 3 top fuses and 2 on the bottom of the interior fuse box. These all have to do with the functions that are not working. All of the fuses are good and I have power to only the right side of the plug on the multifunction switch plug. Started to check for a broken or burnt wire in the harness starting at the MFS and working my way back. So far I am up to the plastic harness cover under the steering col. Does that mean the power is going to the switch and not back or could it be a bad wire or maybe a fuseable link gone bad?
Old 24 Jun 2014, 01:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Top row: fuses #1, #2, #3 are all protected by fuse #10 (40 amp) in the PDC. This is likely your problem.

There are four bottom row fuse slots. I think you speak of the right-two fuses #19, #20. Both are protected by fuse #1 (25 amp) in the dash fuse block and thus by fuse #10 (40 amp) in the PDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy67 View Post
Took another look at the car last night. I do not have power to the 3 top fuses and 2 on the bottom of the interior fuse box. These all have to do with the functions that are not working. All of the fuses are good and I have power to only the right side of the plug on the multifunction switch plug. Started to check for a broken or burnt wire in the harness starting at the MFS and working my way back. So far I am up to the plastic harness cover under the steering col. Does that mean the power is going to the switch and not back or could it be a bad wire or maybe a fuseable link gone bad?
rockandroller likes this.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 07:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'll check it when I get home tonight. I did check all of the fuses in the PDC and they were good. I will check to see if I am getting power to the #10 fuse tonight.

Thanks for the advise and I will keep all posted since this is a common problem with our vehicles..
Old 25 Jun 2014, 08:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Top row: fuses #1, #2, #3 are all protected by fuse #10 (40 amp) in the PDC. This is likely your problem.

There are four bottom row fuse slots. I think you speak of the right-two fuses #19, #20. Both are protected by fuse #1 (25 amp) in the dash fuse block and thus by fuse #10 (40 amp) in the PDC.
top row in-car fuses connecting to that underhood 40a fuse are also powered by the wire that melts in the problematic connector under the dash next to the fusebox. inspect it for melting/burning, wiggle it, disconnect/reconnect it. check this connector before you start changing parts. here's a pic of my bypassed connector

please come back and let us know what you find.
randyincctx likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 25 Jun 2014 at 08:14 am.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 08:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank again... I will check it also and get back to you sometime this evening.. It will be good to have my car back on the road again if I can figure this out...